SIXTY SIX - GRADUATION DAY

"Peter Parker!"

Tony rose to his feet as soon as Peter's name was called out, applause filling the auditorium as parents, students and teachers stood and watched the graduates walk across the stage.

Mila was stood beside him, pride evident in her watery eyes and bright smile as she cheered for their son, clapping louder than anybody else while Peter accepted his handshake and congratulations.

Tristan was hanging on his father's hip as he clapped with his hands above his head, waving wildly at his big brother who turned to look out at the crowd with a red face and a shy smile, his heart fluttering when he saw his family stood when everyone else was seated, supporting him with never ending honour.

"Go Peter!" Tristan shouted, happiness in the apples of his cheeks.

"We love you Pete!" Tony added, not caring about the looks from other parents as the three of them showed their love wholeheartedly.

His exam results might've still been pending but Peter had worked tirelessly to secure himself a place at MIT, studying day and night to ensure his mind was as full of knowledge as it possibly could be.

An acceptance letter a few weeks prior had reduced the entire family to tears of celebration and delight, though Peter wouldn't allow himself to fully relax until he knew for certain that he was heading to Massachusetts in the fall.

Regardless, he embraced the moment up on stage, turning to look out at the familiar faces of the people he'd surrounded himself with for the last seven years of his life. It felt bittersweet in a way, strange since Peter had been eager to get on with the next stage of his life, but nostalgic as he recognised friends from his younger years, wondering if they'd ever cross paths again.

"Gosh, come here, you."

Mila's lips were pouted and her eyes glazed when Peter weaved his way through the crowd after the ceremony, opening her arms for him to walk straight into.

Their embrace was tight and Peter closed his eyes, feeling the warmth from her arms and the soft sniffle as she tried to keep her eyes from running, swallowing a lump that had risen in her throat.

"You don't have to cry, Mom." Peter said with a small laugh.

Mila held his face in her hands, brushing her thumbs across his pale cheeks as she looked up at him, remembering seeing every emotion possible pass through his eyes in the past year and feeling so relieved that after everything they'd all been through, Peter was happy.

"I know," she giggled and dabbed her lashes dry with her fingertips, "I'm just so proud of you, you're so incredibly strong. You're capable of doing anything, I know you are. I believe in you, and I'll always be in your corner, OK?"

"You're gonna make me cry now," Peter shook his head as he felt his eyes begin to sting, hugging his mother again and smiling as she kissed his cheek, "I love you, Mom."

"I love you too Peter, so much."

The look in Mila's eyes instilled the same love in Peter that he'd felt from his own mother and his aunt, a fire that burned brighter and warmer than any other kind of love he'd felt before, and one that he was eternally grateful to be receiving from a heart as kind as Mila's.

Things had been tough after losing his aunt and Peter had struggled to stay positive, though Mila had been the helping hand he'd needed to climb out of the darkness, and one to hold while he figured out a way back into light, too. She'd been there for him in times that felt like complete isolation, offering open arms and an open mind, a shoulder to cry on and comforting advice that always made things better.