21. You've Got Five Minutes

I finally managed to pull myself together and bike home to Shadowford. All I wanted to do was go up to my room and be alone, but the second I pulled into the driveway, I knew that was going to be impossible.

Drake's car sat in front of the house. In the porch light, I could see him sitting on the swing holding a large bunch of pink roses. I wasn't sure I had the mental energy to deal with him, but what choice did he give me?

I threw my bike down in the front yard and made my way up the steps.

"Hey, baby," he said. "Where have you been? I've been waiting here for, like, two hours."

"Sorry to inconvenience you," I said. I couldn't believe he was trying to make me feel guilty for making him wait when he was supposed to be here to apologize. "I was studying for a history test."

"These are for you." He handed me the roses. They were beautiful and probably cost a pretty penny, but roses hardly made up for the way he treated me.

"Thanks," I said. I moved toward the front door, but he stepped in front of me.

"Wait," he said. "We really need to talk this out."

"You've got five minutes," I said.

"Look, I know you're pissed, okay? I know I was a complete asshole. But I was drunk. I didn't know what I was doing."

"You were really mean to me," I said. "I don't like being treated that way. You know, I had to find my own way home that night, thanks to you. I could have been stranded."

"How did you get home anyway?" he asked. "Foster ended up calling his dad to come get us. I looked for you, but you were already gone."

"I got a ride with a friend."

"Who?"

"None of your business," I said. "Are you here to apologize or to play twenty questions?"

Drake sighed. "Please, Harper. You've got to forgive me. I promise I won't ever act like that again."

I knew I couldn't forgive him for what he'd done, but I also knew I couldn't break up with him yet, either. "If you do, I swear to God, I'll never go out with you again."

He smiled. "Does that mean we're okay now?"

I shrugged. "Sure."

He grabbed me up in a giant bear hug, lifting me from the ground and squishing my roses between us. "Whew," he said. "You have no idea how much that means to me."

No, but I have a pretty good idea how much it means to your mother.

"I really need to get inside and finish my homework and stuff," I said. "I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Okay," he said. "Thanks, Harper. I really am sorry."

He leaned down to kiss me, but I turned my head and gave him my cheek instead of my lips.

"So, we're still on for this weekend, right?"

I stared at him, confused. "What's this weekend?"

He laughed. "Wow, you must be seriously focused on your schoolwork or something. It's Homecoming, silly. It's three days of packed events. There's the mixer on Thursday with the alumni, then the game on Friday, and finally the big dance on Saturday night. I already rented a limo for the group and everything."

I forced a smile. "I can't wait," I said.

"Great." He kissed my cheek again, then bounded down the stairs and to his car. "Goodnight, Harper."

"Goodnight, Drake."