24. The Newest Initiate

The air was crisp and cool down on the field. This was my second game at the Peachville stadium, but the energy of the place still surprised me. With almost the entire town in attendance, there was a lot of excitement in the air.

All of the cheerleaders wore white turtlenecks under our uniforms, but my legs were frozen. My hair was pulled back into a french braid, tight against my head, and my ears felt like little popsicles.

A girl named Astrid lifted me onto her shoulders, and I gripped the large banner in my hands. And to think, I always imagined the cheerleaders spending hours before the game painting the banners and coming up with the witty sayings like "Roast the Pigs!" In truth, the team banner making took place just a few minutes before we headed to the field and consisted of Brooke standing in front of the giant white sheet of paper and telling it to say "Demon Pride. Let's win this one for the Alums!" One second the sheet was blank and the next it was perfectly painted and ready to go.

Brooke was still distant and strange. She'd come to school today, but she barely talked at lunch. I was hoping to find some time to talk to her tonight, but so far she'd always been surrounded by other people.

On the field, I held the banner up, steadying myself on Astrid's shoulders. Behind the banner, Drake winked at me, pressed two fingers to his lips, and sent it off to me with a smile. Then, he put his helmet on and crashed through the banner with the rest of the team. I smiled and tried my best to act cheerleadery.

The game actually ended up being a lot more fun than I expected. There were even more people there tonight than normal because of all the alumni. Clara Summers, the movie star, was there with an entourage of people from photographers to a bodyguard, and possibly her stylists and personal assistants. She was staying in the only hotel in town, a bed and breakfast housed in a large white antebellum mansion called the Black Swan. From what I heard, she had pretty much rented the whole thing for herself and her entourage. I had no idea where the other alums were staying. I doubted the governor was staying at a friend's house.

I had gotten a chance to meet Governor Davis last night at the mixer. She recognized Drake from the few times they'd met before. She seemed anxious to meet me and had said, "We're counting on you, Harper." Of course, all that did was make me uncomfortable. I didn't want to be the shining hope of this town. Especially not if it turned me into some kind of robot like Brooke.

As soon as the game was over, I searched the crowd for Brooke, but couldn't find her anywhere. Mayor Chen waved to me and Lark ran out to her to give her a big hug and kiss. Ella Mae was in the crowd as usual, but as all the rest of the cheerleaders greeted their family and friends, I felt out of place. I decided to head back to the locker room and see if I could find Brooke there.

Allison and Brooke were both there, already changing out of their uniforms and into jeans and sweatshirts.

"What are you guys up to tonight?" I asked."

Clara, the governor, and some of the other alumni are coming over," Brooke said. "They want to welcome the newest initiate into the Order of Shadows." She smiled, proud of her new title.

I wondered if the governor's son would be there, too.

Allison shrugged. "I'm spending the night at Lark's," she said. "We're probably just going to watch some movies and pig out on junk food if you want to join us."

"Thanks, but I can't," I said. "Ella Mae expects me home right after the game since I'll be staying out late tomorrow."

"Okay then, see you guys tomorrow."

Allison hurried out of the locker room, leaving me alone with Brooke for the first time since she'd come back to school.

"Hey," I said. "How are you feeling? That must have been some virus you came down with after the party."

Brooke avoided my eyes. "I'm fine," she said. "Turns out all I really needed was some rest."

I swallowed hard, trying to choose my words carefully. "Brooke? Can I ask you something?"

"Sure," she said with that perfect grin.

"Do you still want to be a veterinarian?"

Her head tilted to one side as she studied me, then she shook her head and laughed. "Where on earth would you have gotten that idea? I have always wanted to be a politician, just like Governor Davis."

I watched her as she gathered her things and walked away. I could swear out of the corner of my eye, I saw the shadow of a horse move across the wall.