21

ONE YEAR LATER

It's a running joke between everyone that Joohyun and Seulgi take any excuse to throw a party. Or a get-together. Or a soirée. The nomenclature usually depends on how many people are present and how expensive the champagne Joohyun decides to bestow upon them is.

Usually the reasons are perfectly valid; New Year's Eve, someone's birthday, Halloween, graduation. Sometimes they're clearly just an excuse for Joohyun and Seulgi to have people over and get drunk; a trivia night, Seulgi's favourite idol group had a comeback after five years of inactivity, it's Friday and Joohyun is bored.

This time happens to be the former; an engagement party, after Seulgi proposed to Joohyun on New Year's Eve while they were in Ansan over the holidays.

Somehow, despite the fact that they're all either actual adults with actual, grown-up jobs or almost actual adults with actual grown-up jobs — Chaewon, Jiwoo and Heejin are all about to go into their fourth year of university; Yunjin starts a paid internship in a few weeks, on the production team for a small entertainment company that debuted a girl group last February which swept every Rookie of The Year award; Sooyoung teaches under-twelves at a local dance studio but has been contacted by a few entertainment companies after a few of the choreography videos she posted on YouTube went viral; Joohyun has finished law school and has successfully secured a position in one of Seoul's top law firms and Seulgi has started her own flourishing freelance photography business that, should she be interested, would have an opening for Chaewon next year after she graduates — they've found themselves playing the only party game stupider than spin the bottle.

"Yunjin," Ryujin begins, with a particularly evil glint in her eye. "Truth or dare."

"Truth."

Ryujin's smirk gets wider, and Chaewon groans, mentally preparing herself for some invasive question of a probable sexual nature. "If you had to have a threesome with any couple in this room, who would it be? And you're not allowed to pick Chaewon and someone else. No Chaewons allowed. You have to be the hypothetical third wheel to an actual couple."

Almost immediately, the entire group of people congregated around the large coffee table in Joohyun and Seulgi's living room start vying for Yunjin's attention. Heejin and Hyunjin are making kissy faces at her. Sooyoung has a disturbing look on her face that Chaewon thinks is supposed to be her bedroom eyes and Jiwoo is giving her puppy-dog eyes. Seulgi is flexing while Joohyun is making a show of sliding the gigantic diamond off her finger. Yeji just shakes her head when Yunjin looks at her. Sana hikes the bottom of her dress an inch or so up her thighs, and Momo undoes a button on her shirt. Haseul takes a moment to remind Yunjin of just how much money she and Kahei will collectively be making once they're both finished with their respective degrees.

"Joohyun and Seulgi," Yunjin replies, instantly met with raucous laughter. "Sorry Seulie, but they make all this money now. "

"Is that all we are to you?" Joohyun grumbles at the same time as Seulgi says, "Was it my biceps or my abs that swayed you?"

"I can't believe this betrayal," Sooyoung pouts. "I flirted with you for weeks when we first met."

"Did you?" Yunjin asks, sounding so surprised that there's no way she's faking it. "You told me your shirt was made of girlfriend mater— wait, that was you flirting? How on earth did you successfully seduce so many girls? Are your abs that distracting?"

"Yes," Jiwoo says, sounding a bit disappointed with herself.

"I'm so proud, unnie," Heejin sighs, theatrically placing a hand over her heart and giving Yunjin a fond look. "Just over a year ago you couldn't even admit you were into girls and now you're propositioning a newly engaged couple while your girlfriend sits right next to you. That takes real balls, my friend."