Chapter 2

February 

A few more weeks had passed and the thought of Oliver had left my mind. I never saw him and my brother didn't mention him much unless there was something going on with their cars. I had never thought to ask how my brother and Oliver became friends after meeting him that one time, but I had recently learned that they both drove the same car and were into the whole "car scene". It wasn't something that I particularly cared about but I always made sure that I was supporting my brother and helping him when he needed it. Unfortunately for me on this Friday, Noah needed help.

Even though it was only the middle of February and still chilly out, especially at night, car seasoning was coming in and it was coming in fast. Tomorrow night happened to be the first pop-up car meet to start off the season. I was sitting on the island drinking my morning coffee when my brother came bounding down the stairs.

"So I've been thinking," he started.

"That's a first," I cut him off as I aimlessly scrolled through my socials.

"Oh stop and listen please, this is important."

I put my phone down and gave him my full attention.

"So in the past, I know I have mentioned how I wanted to start my own car group and do my own merchandise, even coming up with a group name and everything. I also know that I have talked about this multiple times but have never actually done anything with it. Well, now I want to."

"Okay, what are you thinking?" I asked.

"Well, with the first car meet of the season being tomorrow, I thought it would be cool if we could make sweatshirts for all of us to wear and even make stickers that we can hand out." Noah explained, "Then, depending on how all of this goes, we can continue with t-shirt and sticker designs. I've even been talking to a buddy of mine who is doing his own car show in August that said we could possibly put a booth up to sell stuff."

I was ecstatic. Noah had been talking about forming his own car group for years but had never seemed to have the motivation to pursue it. I never wanted to push him because I knew if I did, it would only cause him to be less interested in it.

"I think that's a great idea Bub! But don't you think trying to get sweatshirts and stickers done by tomorrow is a pretty tall order? I mean I can have the stickers cutting on the machine while I start preparing the sweatshirts but I don't know..." I trailed off.

Noah picked up my coffee and took a long drink. "Don't worry about it. The four of us can knock it out no problem."

"The four of us?"

"Yeah, Oliver is going to come over later and help, then stay the night and come to the meet with us. By the way, since I don't have back seats you'll have to ride with him." 

***

Of course, the one day that my mind is hell-bent on betraying me and continuously being places it should not is the busiest and most hectic day at my internship. Even with the kids screaming and constant codes going on I somehow found time to think about Oliver coming over later.

I slid into my car and immediately got into the glove box to grab a couple of ibuprofen and popped them into my mouth. It felt as if I could still hear the screams bounding around inside my head causing a nasty migraine to ebb its way in. As I threw the car into drive and got myself on the road to head home, I called up Daley.

"Yellow bottom jeans!" She picked up on the second ring.

"Hey, I'm headed home. When will you be at the house?" I asked.

There was a short pause and I could hear shuffling going on in the background. "I actually just got into my car and am also headed home."

"Okay cool. I was thinking that since Oliver is coming, what if we invited Kallie as well? I figured we could use as many hands as we can get in order to get these sweatshirts and stickers done. Maybe we can order a pizza since my parents are going to dinner?"

"Great idea. I'll give her a call." Daley hung up without another word.

I merged onto the highway and selected the music I wanted to listen to. Even though I was a relatively "okay" person and could surprisingly not relate to a lot of break-up songs, sad music was always my genre of choice. There were some songs where the singer was able to express and say things that I simply could never get into words. It made me feel as if I wasn't so alone.

It was a silly thought. I knew I wasn't alone. But there were still things I felt inside that I couldn't verbalize. Things I knew if I tried to say aloud, it would only make more real. Something almost alive, tangible, that could take a form I wasn't willing to mess with. So, for now, I would let the music I listen to say the things I was too afraid to speak.