Chapter Ten

Hiding hadn't been as easy as Phoebe had hoped. She had been able to avoid running into Krios for the rest of the day, but her maids eventually escorted her back to her room to get her ready for bed. And there, sitting by the huge bedroom window, was Krios. Seeing him both frustrated and worried her, especially when the maids had left.

So before he could even move, she had made a beeline for the bed and purposefully wrapped herself up in the blankets. She probably looked like a giant sausage roll, but at least he would have put up a fight to get her out of this. Now he could understand how frustrating it was to have to bend to the wills of someone else.

Of course, he just ended up laughing when she hid herself. That only annoyed her more, and she tightened the covers around her.

"You look ridiculous," he chuckled. 

"I don't care."

"You're doing nothing more than delaying the inevitable."

Perhaps he was right, but if she could delay him long enough, he would get annoyed and leave. So she wasn't prepared for him to get up from his seat and stalk over to the bed. He easily picked up her blanket cocoon and rolled it so that she was on her back. Then he crawled onto the bed, kneeling over her with his hands planted on either side of her head.

Fortunately for her, she was still in her cocoon. But now she was completely trapped underneath him and forced to look at him. Still, while a little nervous, she knew he couldn't get to her. Unless he completely ripped the blankets apart, though that would risk hurting her as well. He didn't seem to have a desire to do that, so at least she was safe for now.

"You should give up," he said.

"If you swear you won't do anything, I might."

His eyes narrowed. "I won't be doing that."

"Then I'm staying in the cocoon."

He huffed and shook his head. "Do you really think I plan to impregnate you?"

"I know you need an heir," she said, glaring at him. "And according to the maids, your advisors have been pushing you to have one for centuries since you wouldn't get married."

"I had no desire to lie with anyone but Sera."

"For over a thousand years?"

"The very thought repulsed me."

She grumbled and looked away. She honestly found it hard to imagine the Demon Lord of all people staying celibate for that long. Even she, a priestess, had had a couple of relationships in the past. Then again, seeing how devoted he was to Lady Seraphine, perhaps it wasn't too much of a stretch to think he would wait that long. Not to mention that, if he had been having sex with other people all this time, surely a child would have appeared by now.

Maybe that was why his advisors and the people were so anxious. The powerful Demon Lord wouldn't live forever. He probably wanted to have a child with Lady Seraphine, but since that never happened, there was no doubt that his people were looking to her reincarnation to do the job instead.

Which made her curious. "How old are you, exactly?"

"What does that have to do with anything?"

"Well, everyone's apparently worried you're going to die without an heir," she pointed out. "Are you... an old man in demon years?"

He actually laughed at how she phrased the question. She frowned though, considering she was trying to be serious. His people wanted him to have children. If he didn't, she could only imagine the sort of power scramble that would happen; after all, ones that had gone down in mortal history had always been needlessly violent and bloody.