I

"Why? Do you feel you are going to die?"

That known voice came from my left side while I was struggling on the cold beach floor, while waves crashed in front of me and disappeared. Like my life. My knees were hurting from the sand, I think it's a while I was here since I lost track of time. My claws dig into the sand and my will of survival for grip but its rather shameless and selfish to think it might work, because I am not even able to steady my hands to give me support, so that I stop sinking.

But I don't. Nope I can't. Looking back, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't fix things around me for the better. The people whom I loved, their betrayal broke me, ruined me till the point where I couldn't even get even a straw to hold onto while I grappled in the mud where nobody reached out to me. So, I didn't reach out my hand either.

"So, all the things you wanted. Got them?"

The deep masculine voice came closer. One step, two steps, three steps. Two months ago, I made the worst decision of my life. I made a deal with the devil. The most popular, famous and intelligent guy of the university had things to hide and I wanted to know his weaknesses in order to topple him in the grade chart. But my curiosity and ambitions chose me to pay the price because I acted without knowing the consequences.

Surpassing those dreadful moments where he threatened to report me to the authorities about my suspicious plans or burn my certificates proving me to be a fraud, thus resulting in my expulsion from the university I have died to get into, he brought me between his palms to do whatever his mind wishes. Well, I deserved that, as a cost of snooping around things which I shouldn't have. For being curious about why this guy had come in a B level university when he had more than enough skills to get into an A one. When he had continually warned me not to look for things, I was better unaware of. But I didn't listen.

I sighed, "How annoying". I turn towards him, watching him from behind my hair locks that danced with the see breeze. He was standing there with his handsome face (which girls in the university cherished more than their life), hands in pockets of his brown trench coat, and his silky hair, a little disheveled from the breeze. I tried to get up, to get away from him but the strength in my legs gave away until I fell again. Miserably. He didn't move an inch, most probably enjoying the scene before his eyes, "If you try your life like that, of course you are gonna end up like that".

I knew what he meant. 'Don't try. U will fail anyway', was the statement he was hinting at. I spoke, "Don't concern yourself. People know how to live even if they aren't highest IQ bidders like you." I thought he will laugh, like he always does when people say obvious things about him as an insult. But he didn't. Instead, he came over and partially sat beside me in a way that our faces were a few inches from each other. He mocks his head, "So? Wanna try giving up then?"

I tried explaining to myself what he was thinking. He wasn't cold as usual. He wasn't warm as well. He was just being considerate, just sympathizing with pity. Because I looked pitiful. I wanted to laugh my heart out on my misery, but instead I was overwhelmed with anger, "Do people like you have time for things like this?"

He lowered his head down and back up, "Even if I don't, you sure you will be able to reach your hostel door today? In that condition?" He wasn't wrong. I felt terribly sick and weak.

Then I saw freshly produced red drops on my jeans. Blood from my nose trickled down. He passed me a handkerchief, "See?" I shoved his handkerchief away and wiped the blood with the back of my hand. Letting out a sarcastic laugh I continued, "Don't act all petty kind and considerate. Because you are not all that kind" The rage in my eyes recognized his blank expression. I get up using the last bit of my energy to get away from this person.

Walking in slow steps, I breathed heavily. I am not sure if I will reach my bed today. Pronouncing my thoughts, he uttered from behind, "You will collapse." I ignore his words and continue walking, until I began feeling dizzy and the whole world went black in one second.

The time I opened my eyes, it was morning.

A low voice woke me up, "Are you awake?" A woman in a nurse outfit came into focus. "How are you feeling?". Then a hospital room. I was dumbfound. Because I don't know how I reached here. The nurse checked my IV pack, while the door of the room opened and closed.

The nurse spoke to someone who just came in, "Are you her guardian?"

"Yes, I am." That dreadful voice. I turned my head around in shock to find him standing there. As he walked to my bed and stopped, I awfully try to swallow the current situation. After few minutes of fairytale, my brain hit the reality. "GUARDIAN???????" I practically screamed, for the nurse and the other patients looked at me like I was some bizarre creature.

"Don't mind her. She hurt her head." He gives the nurse that meltdown smile that girls in the university would kill for. The nurse explained how my sickness had something to do with overstraining and overworking. So, I was instructed to rest and sleep for the time being.

After she left, I couldn't contain myself, "Why did you bring me here?" He sat on the stool beside my bed and continued, "So what was I supposed to do? Let you die?" I wanted to say yes, because that would have been better than staying within the boundaries he drew for me. Instead, I told myself 'Let's not try to kill myself again as I barely survived' and said, "Out of humanism then? Okay I forgive you", and leaned back on the bed. He sighed and placed something on the table, "These are the meds doctor prescribed you. Take it timely."

I sucked air between my teeth, "Did I not tell you to stop acting kind?". He closed his eyes and sighs again, "I am not acting kind. If you stay here all day who will do my work? Do you want to pay the penalty for not keeping ends with the deal?"

Of course. I made a deal with him. To survive. "Therefore", he gets up, "Recover quickly, for there is a lot of work. I will come tomorrow." And he left within a blink.