28

Hadrian couldn't explain how he knew.

Stories of phantoms and tortured souls had always freaked him out. His mom used to threaten him with them, saying that some ghost or wandering spirit would swoop him up if he wasn't a good boy. These eidolons, he'd never heard of them, but they couldn't be that different from any other monster.

Hadrian had a gut sense they were still present, simply because no one had told them to go away.

When he was done explaining, the others looked at him uncomfortably. Up on deck, Hedge sang something that sounded like "In the Navy" while Blackjack stomped his hooves, whinnying in protest.

Finally Hazel exhaled. "Hadrian is right."

"How can you be sure?" Annabeth asked.

"I've met eidolons," Hazel said. "In the Underworld, when I was...you know."

Dead.

Hadrian had forgotten that Hazel was a second-timer. In her own way, Hazel too was a ghost reborn.

"So..." Frank rubbed his hand across his buzz-cut hair as if some ghosts might have invaded his scalp. "You think these things are lurking on the ship, or—"

"Or inside some of us" Hadrian said then tried not to laugh at how inappropriate that had sounded. "Point is- We don't know."

Jason clenched his fist. "If that's true—"

"Shut up Jason, I think I can do this" He held up a hand.

"Do what?" Percy asked.

"Just listen, okay?" Hadrian took a deep breath. "Everybody listen."

Hadrian met their eyes, one person at a time.

"Eidolons," he said, using his charmspeak, "raise your hands."

There was tense silence. For a second, he felt sorely disappointed. He didn't want to go around touching people's shoulders to use charmtouch.

Leo laughed nervously. "Did you really think that was going to—?"

His voice died. His face went slack. He raised his hand.

Jason and Percy did the same. Their eyes had turned glassy and gold. Hazel caught her breath. Next to Leo, Frank scrambled out of his chair and put his back against the wall.

"Oh, gods." Annabeth looked at Hadrian imploringly. "Can you cure them?"

Hadrian wanted to whimper and hide under the table. Why shouldn't he just give these boys to Gaea now? When was the timing Gaea had talked about? When did she want him to betray the others?

But the immediate danger was in front of him. Hadrian focused on Leo because he was the least intimidating.

"Are there more of you on this ship?" he asked.

"No," Leo said in a hollow voice. "The Earth Mother sent three. The strongest, the best. We will live again."

"Not here, you won't," Hadrian growled. "All three of you, listen carefully."

Jason and Percy turned toward him, Those gold eyes were unnerving, but seeing all three boys like that fueled Hadrian's anger. They were his crewmates. How fucking dare Gaea? First she had the audacity to show him Kira and snatch her away just as he had them in his arms. And now she didn't trust him? Was he not enough to get the job done?

He leaned across the table and put a hand on Leo's shoulder. "You will leave those bodies," he commanded.

"No," Percy said.

Leo let out a soft hiss. "We must live."

Frank fumbled for his bow. "Mars Almighty, that's creepy! Get out of here, spirits! Leave our friends alone!"

Leo turned toward him. "You cannot command us, child of war. Your own life is fragile. Your soul could burn at any moment."

Hadrian wasn't sure what that meant, but Frank staggered like he'd been punched in the gut. He drew an arrow, his hands shaking. "I—I've faced down worse things than you. If you want a fight—"

"Frank, don't." Hazel rose.

Next to her, Jason drew his sword.

"Stop!" Hadrian ordered, but his voice quavered. He was rapidly losing faith in his plan. He'd made the eidolons appear, but what now? If he couldn't persuade them to leave, any bloodshed would be his fault. In the back of his mind, he could almost hear Gaea laughing.

"Listen to Hadrian." Hazel pointed at Jason's sword. The gold blade seemed to grow heavy in his hand. It clunked to the table and Jason sank back into his chair.

Percy growled in a very un-Percy-like way. "Daughter of Pluto, you may control gems and metals. You do not control the dead."

Annabeth reached toward him as if to restrain him, but Hazel waved her off.

"Listen, eidolons," Hazel said sternly, "you do not belong here. I may not command you, but Hadrian does. Obey him."

She turned toward Hadrian, her expression clear: Try again. You can do this.

Hadrian mustered all his courage. He looked straight at Percy— straight into those golden eyes that reminded him too much of Luke. "You will leave those bodies," Hadrian repeated, even more forcefully.

Percy's face tightened. His forehead beaded with sweat. "We— we will leave these bodies."

"You will vow on the River Styx never to return to this ship," Hadrian continued, "and never to possess any member of this crew."

Leo and Jason both hissed in protest.

"You will promise on the River Styx," Hadrian had stood up now, he grabbed Percy's face in his hands and looked into the gold eyes. How long ago had it been that Percy had come to the Titan's palace. How long ago had it been that they had met for the first time? How long ago had it been that they had both been terrified of Luke's golden eyes?

A moment of tension—he could feel their wills fighting against his. Then all three eidolons spoke in unison: "We promise on the River Styx."

"You are dead," Hadrian said coldly.

"We are dead," they agreed.

"Now, leave."

All three boys slumped forward. Percy would have fallen face first into his pizza if Hadrian didn't have a hand against his chest pushing him back up.

"Percy!" Annabeth grabbed him. Hadrian pulled back his hand and let Annabeth take over.

Hazel caught Jason's arms as he slipped out of his chair.

Leo wasn't so lucky. He fell toward Frank, who made no attempt to intercept him. Leo hit the floor.

"Ow!" he groaned.

"Are you all right?" Hazel asked.

Leo pulled himself up. He had a piece of spaghetti in the shape of a 3 stuck to his forehead. "Did it work?"

"It worked," Hadrian said, feeling pretty sure he was right. "I don't think they'll be back."

Jason blinked. "Does that mean I can stop getting head injuries now?"

Hadrian laughed for the first time that night and fell back into his chair, relieved. 

A/N:

Leo being the most underrated and overlooked member of the seven. I hate how Frank just lets him fall in this scene 😭😭