46

Hadrian was stuck babysitting the babysitter when the eagles turned up.

"Stupid chickens" Hedge screamed as he swung his bat around. The eagles weren't even near the ship, much less in a bat swinging range. Hadrian tried to explain that to the Coach, but he didn't like listening to advice. "Come fight me man to man"

"They're eagles" He pointed out.

"I know that, Allaire, quit being a smartass"

The girls had gone to visit the ghost of the battery, Jason, Frank and Leo had gone to the museum and Percy had jumped in the water to ask some nereids what the knew. Just before he jumped overboard, he winked at Hadrian.

Drowning. He remembered last night's talk. Percy didn't let any of his fear show in front of their friends though.

"Coach, stop" Hadrian poked his shoulder. The brief contact made the goat freeze in place. Charmtouch was more powerful than charmspeaking for him. "Don't freeze, just.. Don't swing your bat, you'll hit me with it again"

So Hedge unfroze and begrudgingly, stopped swatting at the air.

It had been nearly an hour after the group had disbanded. Hadrian even saw the two girls racing across the dock. They weren't going to make it.

Halfway across the dock, three giant eagles descended in front of them. Each deposited a Roman commando in purple and denim with glittering gold armor, sword, and shield. The eagles flew away, and the Roman in the middle, who was scrawnier than the others, raised his visor.

"Surrender to Rome!" Octavian shrieked.

Hadrian ignored Coach and practically jumped off the ship as well. Scrambling to his feet, he raced towards the girls. Since the Romans' backs were to him, they didn't see him run up. They should have heard him at least, but Hadrian saw wax in their ears. Probably a precaution against his charmspeaking.

He didn't want to kill the romans, but he was overcome with fury as Octavian made them put down their weapons. He saw Annabeth drop her dagger into the ocean. Oh. Clever, clever.

Hadrian wasted no time. He tackled the guy on the right and shot a warning arrow at the wood of one of their feet. Then he faced Octavian, arrow pulled back, aimed at his heart.

"Hads, no"

"Let me shoot him a little?"

"As tempting as it sounds," Annabeth said, "No."

It turned out, Hadrian didn't have to shoot him at all.

All around the Romans, Charleston Harbor erupted like a Las Vegas fountain putting on a show. When the wall of seawater subsided, the three Romans were in the bay, spluttering and frantically trying to stay afloat in their armor. Percy stood on the dock, holding Annabeth's dagger.

"You dropped this," he said, totally poker-faced.

"I had him" Hadrian grumbled,

"Sure you did" Percy said humor in his teasing tone.

"Guys," Hazel interrupted. She had a little smile on her face. "We need to hurry."

Down in the water, Octavian yelled, "Get me out of here! I'll kill you!"

"Tempting," Percy called down.

"What?" Octavian shouted. He was holding on to one of his guards, who was having trouble keeping them both afloat.

"Nothing!" Percy shouted back. "Let's go, guys."

Hazel frowned. "We can't let them drown, can we?"

"They won't," Percy promised. "I've got the water circulating around their feet. As soon as we're out of range, I'll spit them ashore."