Chapter Three: A Sweet Dream

Utterson knew he was dreaming. He was lying in a bed, so soft. A canopy of green and red silk hugged the high arches of the ceiling, and his nose was full of the deep smell of honey and chestnuts. He lay in his garden of Eden and watched the serpent warily. It was the shape of a man, long hair and cold eyes. Edward Hyde beckoned him closer moving with a smooth agility. Utterson moved forward, entranced, but was held back by a firm hand, cool and smooth as marble. Suddenly Jekyll was standing there, an angel, a salvation. The doctor cupped his friend's face lovingly, and Utterson relaxed into his reassuring hold. His eyes met Jekyll's, which were rounded fractals of sea glass. As Utterson watched, Jekyll became more substantial and the hand on his face took on the warmth of the living. He was awake.

"The angel Gabriel returns." Jekyll smirked.
"Henry? Where am I?"
Jekyll pushed Utterson back down  onto the bed, ignoring the other man's protests. "How much do you remember?"
"I remember going into the fire. There was someone still inside."
"And while that's very heroic of you, it was also incredibly stupid. You fell unconscious."
"Is the housekeeper alright?"
Jekyll scowled. "Perfectly fine. Honestly Gabriel, have you no concern for your own safety? You could have died."
Utterson shrugged. "That's not important."
"To who exactly? I, for one, find it incredibly important!" Jekyll turned away.
"Henry, if you're worried about your will, there are plenty other lawyers who can-"
"Good God man, I'm worried about you! I care about you! I don't give a damn about the will." Jekyll took a calming breath.

"I have decided that in the interest of monitoring your health, you will be staying here for the foreseeable future."
Utterson didn't have the energy to argue. He lay back and closed his eyes.
"Thank you for caring, Henry."
Jekyll sighed. "I wish i had a choice in the matter." He left, closing the door quietly behind him. Utterson forced another breath into his damaged lungs and gave in to sleep.