one | nangarap na bukas mga mata

Go Up – SB19

__________

Mia Montemayor, MD.

Ang ganda ganda sa mata and Mia admittedly feels kilig every time she sees her name written as such. Despite the rigorous training as an internal medicine resident in a prestigious hospital in the country, Mia believes it was all worth it. 'Show up, show up lang' had been her constant mantra for the past two years and things had been, well, things had been okay. Albeit very tiring.

"Mia, tulala ka na naman," Dr. Jana Cruz claimed as she waved a hand over Mia's face to snap her back into reality.

"I'm so tired," Mia sighed, plopping down on one of the worn couches in their call room. She removed her glasses and tiredly rubbed her face. "Last duty was the worst. Record-breaking na naman si Ma'am Mia."

Jana laughed and sat down on the couch beside her closest friend. "Strongest soldier ni Lord, remember?" Jana teased, prompting Mia to frown.

"When will this end?" Mia cried, burying her face on Jana's right shoulder. "Ang dami pa nating need gawin today, no?"

"Yep," Jana answered, enunciating the word with a cheery pop. "We still have to see patients at our outpatient department and"—she glanced at her cell phone—"from the looks of it, I believe we'll be seeing a hundred patients again today."

"And I believe, pagod na pagod na ako and daserb mamahinga after," Mia said. With a sleepy grin on her face, she slung a hand over Jana's shoulders and added, "Maybe we deserve karaoke after?"

Jana laughed in disbelief. "In this state?" she said, gesturing at Mia's messy ensemble of scrub suit with coffee stains on the cargo pants, slightly greasy hair held atop her head with a scrunchie. "Mia, please, matulog ka na lang mamaya."

"You're right," Mia sighed. "Maybe next time."

Mia was about to suggest a schedule when the door to their call room burst open. In came their chief resident with a disappointed look on her face. "Ano pang ginagawa niyong dalawa rito? Ang dami nang nakapila sa OPD!" she admonished.

Jana and Mia hastily stood up from the couch and smoothed down the creases of their uniform. "Right, sorry Ma'am. We'll be going na po," Jana said, clutching onto Mia's hand and hastily pulling her out of the call room.

"I just wanted a few more minutes of peace and quiet," Mia complained once their chief resident was out of earshot, a loud yawn tearing out from her mouth.

"Show up, show up lang, Ma'am Mia," Jana reminded.

Mia quietly laughed and just allowed Jana to pull her to the outpatient department of their hospital.

__________

It was a whirlwind of patient interactions and giving advises. It was a miracle Mia was able to keep awake throughout the whole day despite how her whole body protested from the lack of sleep and food.

One thing she absolutely hated with her profession was how rest was a big no-no. Kayod lang nang kayod hanggang sa matapos ang trabaho. Which was bullshit—for a profession that loudly promotes healthy living and admonishes patients who do not adhere to their healthy advises, it was so ironic that they were the ones who live the unhealthiest. Lack of sleep, lack of meals, lack of exercise... lahat na.

But Mia still loves what she was doing. Being a doctor had always been her dream and now that she was actually here, doing what she loves, was fulfilling. At the end of the day, the 'thank yous' and smiles from her patients were the ones that kept her going. Despite not being the brightest of her batch, Mia still tried her very best to give her patients the best care they deserve.