two | twenty-four mentality like Kobe

Gento – SB19

__________

'Hingang malalim lang, Josh. 1, 2, Step! 1, 2, Step!'

Josh Cullen Santos had a look of pure concentration on his face as he repeated the steps to their choreography for 'Gento' for the nth time. Trust Stell Ajero to come up with the most complicated steps just for a dance routine. While Josh thankfully had years and years of experience with dancing, his body was already complaining from all the rigorous steps he had to do just to perfect the routine.

The other boys were already on a break. Gusto man ni Josh tumigil at magpahinga, he couldn't. May particular part sa dance na hirap na hirap siyang makuha. 'Can't slack off, Josh,' a voice reminded him, pushing him to pop harder, lock tighter, and roll effortlessly like his life depended on it. Nakakahiya naman kung siya ang dahilan kung bakit pumalpak ang kanilang sayaw.

Their new comeback was welcomed with open arms by their fans—both locally and internationally—and Josh was still in awe at how well their group was becoming more recognized. Gone were the days they had to dance in front indifferent people in malls just to promote their new single. Now, he couldn't even get out of their studio without being stampeded by excited fans.

Which was why, he couldn't afford to slack off. All eyes were already on them and he knew that there were those waiting for them to stumble and have another reason to bash them. Makapal naman na ang mga balat nila sa mga panlalait; jusko, they've been the receiving end of such since their debut. But they're doing something amazing here, something big, and Josh knew they had to do their best, to give their all, para lang malaman ng buong mundo that SB19 didn't come here to just play. They meant business.

'Hingang malalim. 1, 2, Step! 1, 2, Step!'

They were already invited to numerous TV guesting and had photoshoots lined up to promote their new album. Josh had not been having enough sleep for the past days as they were required to arrive on set at such an ungodly time of the day. He compensated by eating enough, but he watched out for his diet too just to stay in shape.

Josh stumbled a little and paused. He bent forward, breathing deeply, as he stared at his reflection on the mirror in their studio.

'Ganyan na talaga itsura ko?' he mindlessly thought. He could barely recognize himself. Ang lalim ng mga mata, tagaktak ang pawis mula noo pababa ng kanyang mga pisngi. He looked even pale and ridiculously tired.

"Josh, tama na yan. Bakit di ka pa rin nagpapahinga?"

He craned his neck to look at their bunso, who looked surprised and worried at the same time.

"Wait lang," Josh said, as he straightened himself quickly. The action somehow made him dizzy, prompting him to sway on the spot, the corners of his periphery steadily becoming darker.

"Hoy, Josh!"

Josh managed to release a weak chuckle. "'Hoy' talaga? Wala ka talagang respeto sa nakatatanda," he joked, as he leaned against the mirror to keep himself upright.

Justin was immediately at his side, his worry clearer. "Okay ka lang ba?" he asked.

"Actually... hinde," Josh confessed, the dizziness becoming worse. "Parang gusto ko muna humiga rito..."

Everything turned black for Josh as he slumped forward and lost consciousness.

__________

Senior-on-Duty 6:00 PM: "Hello sa ER duty tonight. Our consultant Dr. Medina will be admitting a new patient tonight. Patient details to follow pero VIP raw. Priority raw muna siya and iwan na muna ang ER sa juniors. Salamat!"

Mia Montemayor 6:15 PM: "Noted po, Ma'am. Will update you po once patient is here."

Senior-on-Duty 6:20 PM: "Direct to room na raw pala siya. Hindi na dadaan ng ER."

Mia Montemayor 6:25 PM: "Alright po, Ma'am. Abangan ko na lang siya. Thank you!"

Mia sighed and closed her phone, apologetically looking at her junior resident. "We have a new admission na naman," she said with a frown. "Sorry, VIP raw so I need to prioritize. Wala pa naman siya for now, but heads up lang I might leave the ER to attend to this patient."

Her junior resident, Kara, gave her an apologetic smile. "I think strongest soldier ka na naman ni Lord tonight, Ma'am Mia," she lightly teased, earning a strange mixture of laughter and sigh from Mia's lips.

"What's new, jusko po?" she said, checking the chat groups from the pay floors to see if the admission has arrived. Her phone gave a merry ding, signifying a new notification. Mia opened the chat group and noted a message from the pay nurse, informing her of the new admission under Dr. Medina.

"The patient is here already," Mia said, gathering her things to prepare to do her rounds. "If you have problems here, message mo lang ako. Hopefully hindi toxic yung case ni patient para makababa ako kaagad."

"Ma'am, take your time," Kara reassured. "Kaya ko na rito."

Mia grinned and bid her goodbye.

While walking towards the elevator, she opened her phone once more to message her senior.

Mia Montemayor 6:40 PM: "Ma'am, patient admitted under Dr. Medina is already at the pay floors. Will update na lang po of his status once I see him."

Senior-on-Duty 6:45 PM: "Alright, thanks Mia! Be benign!"

"Ahhh, wag mong batiin," she whispered to herself, having this pamahiin in the hospital that they were inviting toxicity if they say words like that. Mia thus felt nervous as she exited the elevator.

Her phone dinged once more, notifying her of a message. She saw Jana's name and immediately opened her chat.

Jana Cruz 7:00 PM: "May new VIP admission daw? Strongest soldier ka na naman sis!"

Mia Montemayor 7:05 PM: "Meron nga. Hay naman jusko kung kailan malapit na ako umuwi. Ang paimportante naman nitong VIP. Nakakainis!"

Jana Cruz 7:10 PM: "Let's go, Mama Mia!"

Mia Montemayor 7:15 PM: "Pag ito intubatable, magpoprotesta ako."

She was unable to see Jana's reply as she already arrived at the door outside her patient's room. There were two bodyguards standing in front of the door, prompting her to falter in her steps.

"I'm the doctor for tonight," was her greeting, showing them her hospital ID.

One of the scary-looking bodyguard nodded his head and opened the doorknob for her. Mia whispered her thanks and strode inside.

She got distracted by another message from her senior on her phone.

Senior-on-Duty 7:30 PM: "Hello, heto yung details of our pay admission.

Josh Cullen Santos 29/M
Birthday: 10/22/1993
Address: Imus Cavite
Chief Complaint: Loss of consciousness

Few hours prior to consult..."

Hindi na natapos ni Mia basahin ang mga sinend na detalye ng kanyang senior. She froze on the spot, her eyes growing wide as she stared at the name of their new patient.

"Hello po, Doc."

Mia took a sharp intake of breath as she lifted her eyes away from her phone. Only to stare at the man she'd been obsessively researching about last night after that amazing concert.

She rapidly blinked because what if namamalikmata lamang siya? "Sir... Josh Cullen Santos?" she managed to ask.

This brought out an uncertain smile on her new patient's face. "Yes po, that's me."

Mia could not help it anymore; her jaw dropped in surprise.

Jusko po?!