Chapter III: Alarm

Kyiv, Ukraine

Maya's POV

It's been three days since last russian attack. It happened in Brovary, but everyone was alerted anyway because it was extremely close. We all heard the explosions. I never thought I'd be waking up to the sound of nukes in the distance.

Three days of not seeing the sunlight. The small window is not enough to provide the smallest amount of oxygen or fresh air in this room. Three days of total isolation like in the pandemic. At least I have enough food and water.

My parents told me to stay in our basement for my own safety while they are at work but I feel like a dog in a birdcage. I believe them when they say the company needs leading and help the deported soldiers with ammunition but they are in the most vulnerable position right now. Besides, I haven't heard anything even remotely close to an explosion or gunfire lately. The only thing that I know is that 'it's dangerous'. Well if it was THAT DANGEROUS WHY AREN'T YOU HOME WITH ME THEN???? They aren't in a bunker or anything like that so I guess they are even more exposed than I am right now. That building is not guarded by anyone at this point.

Can't say I'm not afraid. I really care about them. I'm call them every six hours just to make sure they're fine. Most times some secretary picks up the phone and tells me that Mr. or Mrs. is okay. Perks of having a hundred men at your hand.

I just finished my essay for next week and got up from the improvised desk to go to the kitchen. Well kitchen is a strong word. More like a corner with a portable hob and a kettle. Something to keep me going for the time being. At least I have a lifetime supply of cereal bars and apple juice. I grabbed one of them from the cabinet and opened the wrapper, taking a bite. I turned on the small tv to see what was new in the outside world.

"Troops from the United States have confirmed their landing in Ukraine in order to fight the terrorist attacks located North East of Brovary. Please keep calm and stay saf-" the reporter spoke from a nearby airstrip but I turned off the tv immediately.

I've heard enough. This is the second wave of american soldiers sent to their death. Why aren't they sending nukes or something like that? These russians are so damn powerful and ruthless no wonder why they've captured the east. Everyone's trying their best to fight them but they need something kore powerful than anything they have.

I need fo clear my head a little. I went to the other side of the room where my small modest bed was and played a symphony on my phone. Classical music always calms me down. My mom says that it's because she often listened to instrumentals while breastfeeding me. While listening to Vivaldi's four seasons, I slowly drifted to sleep.

I was awakened by the sound of a plane passing over my house, flying so low it shook the ground with a loud howl. I got out of bed quickly and looked at my phone to call my parents immediately.

Dialing...dialing...COME ON NOW !
Suddenly all the lights were cut off and an alarm begun ringing somewhere in the distance. There was no other sound aside from that creepy ring. No service. Something surely happened while I was out. Great. Now my only contact with the outside world was dead.

I opened the basement door slowly and peeked my head outside. There was something going on deeper in this city. But not here. Somewhere far away. When I was about to close the door again I heard two loud explosions, followed by a wave of civilian screams. I froze in place. This is not happening. This is a dream. Where are my parents? Are they alive? They have to be. THEY MUST BE.

I started panicking but then another bomb brought me back to reality. This time even closer. Only a few houses away from mine. I quickly ran inside and locked the door on my way in. What do I do? Goddamn this medicine. No one's teaching us how to survive. Only to save people. I got no other place to go.

I reached to the back of some old toolbox only to find out an emergency flashlight. At least this thing was working. Maybe if I get somewhere high like our balcony i could use the morse code. No no no no this is so wrong. The soldiers will be here any minute now. We just gotta wait. I looked outside the small window and noticed people who probably didn't have an anti-aircraft shelter running away on the streets, frightened. Those who have reached their cars were already leaving but most of the people were just sprinting mindlessly in the opposite direction of the explosions.

I tried my best to remain calm but the fact that my parents could be injured or dead scared me to death. I have to find them. Mom's car is still in the garage. I could use it to get to their company. YES OF COURSE I WOULD BE THE ONLY PSYCHO TO DRIVE ALONE AT NIGHT TO AN OPEN BATTLEFIELD ONLY TO GET MYSELF KILLED. There was no time for any of that. Whatever I do, I can't leave.

I was knocked out of my thoughts by a white vans convoy approaching my street. It has to be them. Dozens of armed men got out of the cars and begun walking towards the houses. This was good news.

I saw a man walking to one of the soldiers begging him for help. He didn't get the chance to say another word only because a bullet pierced the man's chest making him fall to the soldier's feet. These- they weren't soldiers. THEY ARE TERRORISTS. RIGHT HERE AND NOW. My hand flew to my mouth as bullets went flying before my very eyes and people dropping dead on the streets, leaving nothing but pools of blood behind. This is not happening. This is just a dream. I am still sleeping and I will wake up everything will be fine and not burning.

Suddenly, a bullet went through the window, shattered glass pieces falling next to me. Nevermind, this is really happening.

I have to hide. I can't get out otherwise they will kill me like they did to my neighbours outside. Think Maya THINK. The old wardrobe. OF COURSE. Alright i gotta act fast.

I descended a flight of stairs to a darker room in our basement. I never knew this house had so many underground levels. Suddenly I heard the front door being forced open and footsteps entering my house. I quickened my pace only to the sound of russian words and gunshots outside. After what felt like an eternity, I finally found my hiding spot. An old wardrobe in our abandoned storage room. Random car parts and jars filled with all kinds of vegetables invaded the room and I tried my best not to make a noise by knocking them down. The sound of footsteps got closer and closer. Dear God please don't let them find me.

I was about to turn on my flashlight again when I heard multiple guns being fired and people grunting in pain. My heart froze as I saw their flashlights through the door crack. My heartbeat fastened, my eyes tight shut waiting for them to pass. And then- silence.

Only one of them was now roaming around the storage room. He opened all kinds of drawers and boxes, searching for something valuable, I guess. I held my breath in order to not make the slightest sound as he slowly approached the wardrobe. I was looking at him, he was also looking at me but he didn't know that. After a couple of moments he started walking away after hearing some muffled yelling outside. Suppose some of friends called him?

With a big but silent exhale, I shuffled a little from my spot involuntarily which made something from under my feet crackle. Shit shit shit SHIT! STUPID MESS!

I quickly hid behind the clothes and curtains in the small room but it was in vain. He was already alerted and was now coming towards my direction. No no no there has to be something here. A knife or something sharp I could use to defend myself. Even if I did get rid of him, the others would get suspicious and will come down eventually but it would at least buy me some time.

My hands brushed against all the tools lying on the shelves until i found something which felt like a screwdriver. I quickly grabbed it and held it tight in my hands as the tall soldier came closer and closer, cocking his gun with every step.