Chapter X: Squad Red

Jyromir, Ukraine

I was awakened by a hand slowly shaking my shoulder. I opened my eyes and frowned my eyebrows at the contact with sunlight only to make out the figure of a huge shadow standing in front of me.

"Great, you’re awake now. Get ready" Hawk spoke in a not so morning voice. He was already dressed up in some usual dark grey shirt with his mask on. I wonder if he slept better after what happened last night but I won’t ask. I don't really think he noticed, remembers or realises what I did but I will keep my mouth shut for the time being. Won't kill anyone.

"Mhm… yes sir…" I mumbled pulling at my face trying to wake up all my senses. I looked around for a watch to see if it was really that early or was I just very tired. The handwatch wasn’t on the nightstand but I spotted it on his wrist as he shuffled around the room.

"I’ll leave you to uhm- get dressed and everything and grab something to eat afterwards. We’ll be in the cafeteria" he said as he left the room without letting me say a word. 'We'?I think he meant him and his team. We’ll get to that anyway.

It took me some time to realise that I’ve slept in my day clothes. Great, now I have to scavenger around those crates again. I took the pile of my old clothes in my hands and went off to the restroom, ignoring the stares I got from the soldiers on my way.

I opened the mess hall door and quickly met something I haven’t seen in a lot time. Civilization, noise and activity. Soldiers who were closer to the entrance turned their heads to me and gave me some very surprised stares. Ah, crap. Here they come.

"Hey there baby, I didn’t know America also recruited barbies" one of them spoke to me in ukranian laughing with one of his mates.

"Well, they don’t. They can’t really afford it" I replied in the same language. The smirk dropped from his face instantly. Yea that’s what I thought, leave me alone now. "Do you guys have boiled eggs here? Y’know, bare minimum? I asked mockingly.

"Oh I do have some eggs for you darling, right here" a taller man took a few steps forward towering over me. He took his hand out of his pocket but before he could pull another move I slapped him hard across his grumpy face. The sound made even more soldiers turn their heads and stop by for the action.

"Hey, bitch go search for your own damn eggs" another guy said in english as he shoved my shoulder making me take a few steps back. So they are joining forces now? A few other men had gathered behind him in the meantime to watch the show. Goddamn, this is a jungle. I was about to say something again but a strong voice interrupted me.

"Hey! What’s your fucking problem? Leave her alone hijos de perra!" the black haired man from yesterday spoke as he shoved him so hard that he fell on his ass. The soldiers chuckled at their friend as his face went red with anger but he didn’t dare to talk back. After an 'I will be back' stare at me and the man behind me he left, and so did the crowd.

"Uhm- thank you…" I begun as I turned around to face my 'hero'. Can’t say I couldn’t stand up for myself but things could’ve gotten pretty dirty if someone didn’t intervive.

"Alejandro Cortez." he introduced himself as he took my hand to place a kiss on it just like men did in the past. "You must be the new recruit Hawk was talking about, señorita…" his spanish accent was attractive but in an annoying way I couldn’t quite make out.

"Maya- Maya Navarro. Pleasure to meet you, sir" i was stunned by his gestures but I quickly went back to my default replies as I didn’t want him to get too comfortable around me. Tall, well built and with sharp features, he had an air of confidence that many would envy. But not a touchy confidence, more like just being a gentleman. His black hair was slicked back, giving him an even more dashing look. A man with his charm can be very dangerous.

"Oh please, don’t 'sir' me. That’s captain’s thing. Call me Ranger or whatever you please. Shall we take a seat?"

"Actually I was going to grab something to eat-"

"Ah, sí, there- boiled eggs" I grabbed a plate from one of the counters and approached the trays filled with food. Basic breakfast aliments like some sausages, weird looking pieces of cheese as well as fried and boiled eggs. I grabbed one of them and placed it on my plate, accompanying it with some tomatoes and two slices of ham. It was fitting my expectations, this wasn’t a hotel after all. But it was decent. I looked around trying to find an empty table but my eyes met with Alejandro who was now holding two cups of tea.

"Chai?" this multilingualism is starting to get on my nerves. Is he trying to impress me? I grabbed one of the cups and gave him a stony glare while taking a few steps past him.

"The team’s table is over there" he said pointing to the a table near the window where four people were sitting.

"Gracias" Imocked the reply and fast walked to the table.

Approaching the table I recognized Yun from yesterday sitting on one side and on the other some other soldier. I took a seat beside her as Alejandro sat down placing his cup near his plate with some unfinished fried eggs and cucumbers. I noticed the blonde man on my right giving me a subtle look as he inspected my figure from head to toe. When I turned my head around he proceeded to continue eating. I begun peeling the egg shell and quickly ran my eyes across the table and the people who were sitting near me. They haven’t said a word and just acted like a normal person had joined them. Yet the captain was nowhere to be found. Telling by the empty plate he should’ve left by now.

"They left?" Alejandro asked gesturing towards the two empty seats.

"The commander called them." the blonde man said while munching with half of his mouth "mmh- said it was about some guy we didn’t catch yesterday"

"Shit… can’t stop to catch a breath these days, huh?"

"Not even to eat"

"Are you guys serious?" Yun said out of nowhere which made me turn my head towards her too.

"What do you mean?"

"Are you literally gonna act like she’s not here? Introduce yourselves, you fools" we were taken aback by her sudden annoyance.

"Oh, sorry about that ma’am. » the soldier said grabbing a napkin to wipe his hands "Andrew Foster, but you can call me Pearl. Pleasure to meet you miss-"

"Maya Navarro" I shook his hand firmly and then a moment of silence took over the table.

After some intense glares Yun was giving Alejandro, he replied, seeming unbothered.

"Oh we’ve- uhh-" He said looking up from his plate.

"Met before- yes" I continued nodding and putting a hand on Yun’s shoulder to calm down.

"God, you’re so uncivilised-" a soldier that came to our table cut her off.

"Excuse me- lieutenant. Captain Turner has summoned you guys on the airstrip. The birds are leaving soon"

"Soon? How soon?"

"30 minutes, ma’am"

"Thank you. You heard the man. Eat up and pack your things. We’re getting out of this shithole." she said so shamelessly despite all the stares he earned from the nearby ukranian soldiers. I was kinda offended myself but I couldn’t blame her. This place was terrible indeed. I got up from my seat mirroring her actions as I drank the last sip of tea from my cup and followed her, leaving the men behind.

"You really are fearless, Yun" I said shyly.

"Dear please, I could outrank all of these creatures here. That’s why they never talk back"

"Lieutenant huh? Why aren’t you captain of this squad?" I asked out of pure curiosity.

"Leading isn’t for me. That’s Jake’s job. He has everything it takes for it and I chose to follow him. I was always a back seater and I love my position just as it is." She explained as we arrived in front of a door that I believed was to her room. "Just don’t pull silly excuses on him or disrespect him in any way. He hates this kind of stuff on newbies or… well… everyone. Consider him as your mentor till you get the hang of things and you’ll be fine"

"Right, yes, thanks again lieut-"

"Yun" she replied with a small smile.

"Yun" I said as I took my leave to the captain’s room to pack my things.