Kabanata 2

———  Ikalawang Kabanata  ———

MASTERPIECE

REAGAN AIDA GIBSON

         "FOR your assessment this sem, I would like you to look for a masterpiece from various pianists that you can play this friday. I hope you reflect on the song first before playing it."

That was our professor said. But the thing is, I can't find anything that suits my taste.

I've looked into different famous pianists and listen to their masterpiece but none of them really peeked my attention.

I've stayed at my desk inside my room for almost an hour now, finding some good piece that can match my abilities in playing the piano.

"This is exhausting."- I mumbled as I leaned at my chair.

Today is tuesday and friday is nearly coming. Kailangan ko pang mag practice at ma perfect ang kantang tutugtugin ko. I don't want to get low grades either for a reason that I can't play a piece that is not to my liking.

I glance at the night sky with gleaming stars decorating it. In front of my table was my open wooden window with blue curtains hanging on it, swaying slowly as the wind blew.

Medyo mahangin sa labas kaya naman kitang-kita ko ang paglagas ng mga dahon sa mga puno at ramdam ko ang malamig na ihip nito dulot ng pag-ulan kanina.

"What song should I play?"- tanong ko sa sarili habang nakatulala sa labas.

If I choose a masterpiece from a famous pianist, there will be a chance that my other classmates will play something similar to mine. So I need someone who is not that known, yet their piece is match to my taste.

Umayos ako saking upuan at muling hinarap ang sarili sa laptop ko.

"How about..."- I started typing on my keyboard when I thought of something.

'Pianists and their masterpiece in the past'

Many articles and pictures pop up as soon as I clicked the search button. Some are known but there are also few that I don't fully know.

"What's this?"- kumunot ang nuo ko ng dumako ako sa pinakahuling article.

'American Pianist in the Philippines'

I clicked the article when I was intrigued by the title of it.

Hindi ko alam na merong pianistang amerikana sa pilipinas. Is it during the colonization of the americans?

That answered my question when the article opened.

It was during the rule of the Americans in the Philippines when Susannah Celeste Brillantes, a princess and daughter of King Christopher Nimuel Brillantes, was known for her amazing skills in playing the piano.

Why didn't we study this before? I'm already at my third year level and I haven't heard her name in our lessons. Even in our history subject, they didn't mention her at all. Although the name of the king sounds familiar to me.