brighton and hove albion (h)

a few more days pass and before elena knows it, it's the first game day of the season.

gameday against brighton has all the emotions running through elena.

she was told she wasn't going to be starting. that was understandable; she had only played with these girls for about a week, and most of the girls had been playing with one another for years.

however, there was a good chance she'd make a substitute appearance. elena's heartbeat skips a beat every time she thinks about it.

throughout the day, elena seems to get paler and paler.

"are you nervous?" caitlin turns around from the passenger seat.

the younger girl barely shakes her head.

"you look like you're about to throw up. are you sure you're okay?" the australian presses on bluntly. lia slaps her girlfriend on her leg, turning to give her a stern look. "ow! what is wrong with you two?!"

"ignore her. you look really pale elena, do you need someone to check you out before we play?" lia says looking through the mirror.

elena remains silent, fiddling with her hands on her lap.

lia pulls the car over abruptly and turns off the engine. she leaves the driver seat and joins elena in the backseat.

"you're being ridiculous lia, get back in the driver's seat or else we're going to be late." elena murmurs.

"so we'll be late then. i'm not going to have you wallow the whole day, it's the season opener! this is something to be excited about." lia comforts the nervous girl.

"jonas told me i'd probably make a substitute appearance. what if i mess up lia? what if i trip and fall on my face? what if i make a mistake and they score?" elena swallows thickly.

"it's okay to be nervous elena, we all are on gamedays. it's how you tackle it, i'm sure you'll do great." lia places a hand on elena's back and the spaniard melts to the touch. she curls into lia's body.

elena takes a couple of deep breaths.

"it's going to be okay elena. you've prepared a lot, if you're nervous about the game you shouldn't be. no one is more prepared than you." caitlin tries to ease the young girl.

still, elena doesn't budge. elena knows this is embarrassing, she shouldn't even be this nervous. she's not starting, but she can't help but feel like she's missing something.

"okay, we're definitely going to be late, but we can't miss the game. so caitlin's going to start driving, and i'm gonna stay back here with you. is that okay el?" lia whispers.

the 18 year old nods feebly.

they arrive only ten minutes late, making it just in time for the pitch inspection. elena separates herself from lia, telling her she has a pregame ritual to do.

usually, she would crouch down near the center of the pitch beside mapi and inspect a specific patch of grass.

without the defender with her here, it's quite lonely.

she makes the decision to dial mapi, one last time. it wouldn't feel the same without her.

she takes crouches down looking at the grass as the call goes through.

"hey elena, shouldn't you be preparing for a game now, why are you calling maria?" alexia's familiar voice rings through.

"alexia! why are you with mapi right now, where is she?"