leicester (a)

the week long break was welcomed with open arms, but in reality, it really was a 4 day break.

they had to get back to the league, then an international break, which elena was not looking forward to at all.

the 15 had held firm in their beliefs, and the spanish coach was left to call up practically the same squad he had last window, which included elena.

but that was something the 18 year old spaniard was trying to ignore at the moment.

what she was trying to focus on was the good environment at her club. after the break, everyone felt energized, the mood around training camp was lively, elena thrived on energy.

what she was focusing on was trying to earn starts. something she thought entirely impossible at barcelona for her age was now possible here, at arsenal.

she was competing with the likes of kim little, vivianne miedema, lia wälti, jordan nobbs, for a spot in midfield.

better yet, she was producing results. with numerous assists already and two goals in the campaign, elena was flying.

the arsenal were flying.

but leicester would be their last 'easy' game of the season, elena just didn't know it yet, and neither did her teammates.

she earns a start against leicester, alongside manu, laura, lotte, steph, katie, lia, frida, and their usual starting three up front; caitlin and beth on the wings with stina as their 9.

it was a rainy afternoon at king power stadium. as elena warmed up, she wasn't exactly comfortable with the conditions, she was far too used to playing in the sun.

"jonas, could you explain the impact the elena fernandez has had on this team so far?"

"she's been filling in the midfield tremendously well, she started that game against zurich and lyon in the champions league, so i'm excited to see her start for us today. she's been a really important part of our season so far, and i hope that continues."

"and the news of vivianne miedema being unavailable?"

"yeah, obviously the environment is very demanding, viv, leah, kim, and rafa are all out today but we have to be sure to keep our players fresh so we'll be better prepared for all our challenges this season."

little did the team know, they would need their squad constantly throughout the season.

after a moment of silence, the game kicked off, and the arsenal were immediately on the front foot.

30 seconds in and frida gets a good shot in that the keeper has to parry away for a corner due to the rain.

"wow, it really is going to pour down on us, isn't it?" elena asks lia as they're both waiting outside the 18.

the swiss midfielder sighs heavily as she looks up, "this is england for you."

after a bit of back and forth around the box, elena gets the ball from laura's throw in, passing it to beth whose shot is deflected off a leicester defender. stina's shot rattles off the crossbar, sending the ball out for a goal kick.

in a matter of three minutes, arsenal get three corner kicks, but all of their chances are wiped away.

in the twelfth minute, katie's cross is palmed away by the leicester goalkeeper, out for a throw in. laura's throw into beth is played dangerously close to goal, just barely on the touchline. her shot is deflected but frida whips the ball into the back of the net for their first goal of the night.

ten minutes later, leicester push all the way up to arsenal's corner flag, but elena quickly disposseses them after a terrible throw in. out of frustration, she gets fouled and wins a free kick deep in their own half.