Tony's Daughter pt 3

So I've been rereading my old stuff and realized this one had zero closure so here we go.

Pepper's POV

She was lats, she was supposed to be home 2 hours ago. I had already called Happy and had local law enforcement, discretely, searching for her. Still nothing. I lay my head in my hands and slowly started rubbing my forehead. I love that kid, and she's been through so much already, I just hope she's ok. 

I stayed like that for god knows how long, maybe two more hours, just silently crying. Suddenly I heard a knock on the door. I had only a second to wipe my tears before the door cracked open, it was Happy. And one of the detectives. I sighed already knowing what they were gonna say.

"We found her," Happy said, not sounding happy at all. Which was not what I thought they were gonna say. Then he started crying to so the detective took over. 

"We found her car along the back roads towards the tower, it was parked along a cliff overlooking the river." She paused. "We didn't see any evidence that she had gone far from the car, and well we found her body." I just stared unable to process as she continued talking. "There was zero trace of anyone else there, so we believe she jumped willingly. I'm so sorry for your loss Ms. Potts."

The detective nodded solemnly at me and then left. And that's when it hit me, my little girl was gone. I was never going to see her again. And I broke, I sobbed and fell to the floor unable to control myself. Happy came and sat beside me, taking my hand. We sat there for a long time crying and mourning together. Mourning the little girl we loved so much who had had so little for so long. The little girl we did everything we could for. The little girl we couldn't save.

---timeskip---

I waited two week before announcing the news to the public, and during that time Happy and I told her friends. We let them grieve with us and through herbs small private funeral. It was always her dream to be cremated, and to have her ashes thrown into the most beautiful waterfall in a forest on a mountain we could find. So we all went to New Zealand. I knew she would be happy with our choice. And it was a great sense of closure for all of us. It still hurt, and I knew it always would. But she had made her choice, and even though it broke me I couldn't do anything for her anymore other than honor her, so that's what I did.

"Thank you all for coming today," I addressed the room full of reporters, "I have only a brief statement, there will be no questions after." I paused taking a breath before saying the words, before it was real for everyone. "Two weeks ago there was an incident, I unfortunately lost my daughter, True. A funeral service has already been held with those she held closest to her. All those close to her are asking for privacy in this time of mourning."

I quickly left the stage before any of them could start asking questions. As soon as I was in the privacy of my office I sank into my chair and started crying again. I knew she made her choice, and that it was over, but I was still completely heartbroken, and knew it would be a long time before that wound even started to scab over. 

I heard my doorknob jiggle and was very glad for the thumbprint opening locks I had had installed a month ago. It meant that only Happy or I could come in without my permission.

"F.R.I.D.A.Y who is at my door"

"It is Mr. Stark ma'am."

"You may let him in." The door opened slowly, and in front of me stood one of the most broken man I had ever seen.

"How'd she die?" He said it in such a small voice I was surprised to hear him speak at all.

"Suicide." I could tell my words broke him, he knew it was his fault, or at least a very large part of him did. Everyone who knew her closely knew it. I had wanted to go and beat the living shit out of him for weeks because I knew it. But seeing him this distraught was almost as good. Part of me was mad screaming he had no right to be this upset because my little girl was gone because of him. But the other part of me knew that he knew it was his fault too. And that that knowledge would beat him up inside, and hurt him way more than I ever could, for the rest of his life. And I knew that she'd approve of that. 

I motioned for him to leave and he looked at me pleading for anything to release the blame off himself. But I just looked back at him with steel in my eyes and ice in my heart. And he knew. He knew I blamed him, and that broke him. He left, and from that day on I swore I would never look at that man with anything less than steel and ice, no matter what happened. He as good as killed my little girl.