The Cave Of Immortality

Parvati gently dropped a food ball into the waters. Two big, colourful fishes swam swiftly and engulfed it in no time.

She dipped Her hand in the lake, hoping to reach out to the fishes and touch them.

"Parvati, what are you doing here at Mansarovar? I was searching for you everywhere."

She peeped behind and saw Her Husband seated over a stone chair. He must have observed Her and Her doings for a long time because He seemed at ease on His seat.

"Swami, I often wonder how free these fishes are! They swim in these crystal clear waters and have no fear of predators. This entire lake belongs to them. Every animal lives in so much harmony and peace at Kailash. Why would anyone want to leave this place and go somewhere else?"

Parvati was cryptically voicing Her inner fears to Him. And although She was reluctant to say them out loud, because She thought that He might consider them unfounded. But He guessed Her emotions right away and reassured Her.

"No one needs to leave Kailash. And you're Kailash Swamini. This is Your abode, Your Home and Your Kingdom. But I think there are still some secret places in Kailash where You're yet to explore its hidden beauty."

_____________________________________________

Shiva suggested a change of scenery to calm down Her curiosities and anxieties

Shiva suggested a change of scenery to calm down Her curiosities and anxieties. Parvati giggled at the thought and at once Her childlike enthusiasm was ignited.

"Oh really! Swami! Let's go there right away. Please take Me to a calm, beautiful place."

Shiva smiled and knew that His plan was unfolding perfectly.

They started walking along the icy terrains. Shiva tried His best to take Parvati along a less difficult road so that She doesn't get tired.

They reached a cave where a glacier and a sheet of glass enclosed the opening.

Parvati stopped there mid way, looking at the familiar place. She turned to Her Husband and beamed excitedly.

"Swami, this place is no secret for Me. But it is indeed the most beautiful place for Me because I met You for the first time here. This is the witness to our wedding and we were united here forever. Our Amarnath."

Shiva laid His hands on Her shoulder. "Indeed, Parvati. And just like its name, Our Love story is indeed immortal."

"Swami, are there any other stories about immortality? Just like Ours? I want to know more about all of them, for Love is so beautiful in all its forms."

He gently caressed Her bright pink cheeks, which seemed flush more due to the cold. "Parvati, the world is full of secrets about the creation of this Universe. But it is complex and of higher intelligence. You'll need knowledge of Tantra, Yantra and Mantra and perhaps even more to understand the concept of immortality."

With the stubbornness of a child, She emphasised. "Please Swami! I want to learn everything and more. You are My Teacher and you can't deny Me the gift of wisdom. In My previous birth, You took the promise of sharing everything with each other. You must share this knowledge with Me."

Shiva seemed a bit agitated at Her demand, because this portion of the story was not a part of His plan. But what can He do in front of the Supreme Goddess and Her Leela except for only playing along?

Knitting His eyebrows, He said, "Parvati, I am not trying to hide anything from you. But I feel it's not the right time for Me to reveal these secrets to you. You must wait for the right opportunity and trust Me to help you out with this."

And after a few more agreements and disagreements, Shiva had to oblige and listen to His Wife. Like all good husbands are supposed and expected to. He didn't mind because had prophesied earlier that losing to Her was His biggest win.

But, Shiva had a few conditions. "Parvati, I need you to maintain a healthy decorum and discipline. This knowledge is not for everyone and anyone who even simply listens to this, is blessed by the boon of immortality. You must keep your eyes and ears open and listen with full dedication and concentration to achieve the maximum benefit. And We must leave all Our worldly belongings of this Earth, here at the entrance and go further deep inside to a hidden region so that no one can hear us or invade our privacy."

Parvati nodded Her head in agreement. She began to take out Her ornaments and kept them on the ground. Shiva used magic and made them disappear. She knew that He would return them because He was aware of Her fond love for Her Mother's jewellery. And in case She gained wisdom and became a detached mystic, She won't need them anymore. So there were no risks.

Shiva summoned Nandi and asked Him to guard the entrance. They walked some distance together, after which they decided that they must go alone inside the depth of the cave.

He left Nandi at Pahalgam. At Chandanwari, he released the Moon from His matted hair. On the banks of Lake Sheshnag, He let go of the Serpent Lord Vasuki.

At Panjtarni, Shiva left behind the five elements - Earth, Water, Air, Fire and Sky. As a symbol of sacrificing the earthly world, Shiva performed the Tandava Dance. His Dumroo beats synced in perfect harmony to Parvati's Lasya.

Then, finally, Shiva entered the deep terrains of the Amarnath Cave along with Parvati and both of them manifested into a Lingam made of ice.

Shiva became the lingam of ice and Parvati became the yoni of rock.

।। ॐ नमः पार्वती पतिये हर हर महादेव ।। 
।। ॐ नमः शिवाय ।।