NEAR MISS

NEAR MISS

(Part 1)

I used to be a goody-two-shoes pastor's kid. Not anymore. Not since God went deaf and killed my mother. Entering college was the key to my freedom from that pious cage. 

My cousin was the catalyst for my promiscuous lifestyle. During holiday visits, Frederick would give me his phone, allowing me to watch a couple of pornographic videos. I got hooked. Ever since then, I indulged in secret addictions: alcohol, masturbation, pornography, name it.

When my mom died while I was in my first year in the university, all my conscience died with her. I let go of every constraint and began to fully show my true colour. I never went back home, despite my father's pestering.

"Hey, Jay boy, check out that new chick," Oscar, my best buddy, yelled about the noise, letting out a puff of smoke. "She looks fresh." He let out a low whistle, piquing my curiosity.

It was the night after our last exam paper in which we had cheated. I and my clique of friends had the entire holiday planned out for unrestrained fun and pleasure. Tonight at the club was the first step to our full-fledged spree.

I glanced in the direction he nodded towards and saw the girl. I took in her flawless cocoa skin, her soft plump face and her wide eyes that searched the expanse of the dimly-lit noisy bar.

My eyebrows rose in surprise.
I knew her, vaguely. She was this new DE student in my department. Grace, wasn't that her name?

Though she was damn attractive, I could sense the holy aura on her from miles away. From her modest dressing and even her speech, one could immediately tell that she was a SU to the core.
I kept my distance. I didn't want anything to do with God.

What was she doing in this cave meant only for all the bad boys and girls of this campus?

Suddenly, I had a strong sense of unease. Within seconds of her entry, the guys who weren't gyrating with scantily-clad girls to the hip-hop music blaring from the speakers all had their eyes on her, leering.

Before the wolves came fully for her, I rose, pretending I wanted to go shoot my shot.
My company of half-drunk friends hooted and cheered me on. They had no idea of the conflict in my heart.

I went over to her and tugged her arm.

"Follow me," I said under my breath.

She took one look at me, relief washing over her features, and obeyed.

"Are you asking for a death sentence?" I blasted her once we were outside, away from the noise. "What are you doing here?"

"I came looking for you," she said simply, looking straight at me with that piercing gaze of hers.

I raised a brow and gave my impish smirk that usually had the ladies swooning. A little flirting wouldn't hurt.
"Me? Wow! Am I that irresistible?" I said charmingly.

"To God, you are. He wants you back. Why did you rebel against him?"

I frowned, suddenly agitated.
"Who are you? A spiritual psychic? I barely even know you."

"But God knows you, Jeremiah Oluwabiyi. He led me here, told me I would find you here."

Trickles of raindrops began to fall but I didn't flinch. I was frozen to the spot.

How did she know my full name? Everyone, even my closest friends,  knew me as Jay boy.

What was happening? It was as though I was standing naked before her, before God. I wanted to disappear.