Crying Green Cat Eyes

The wind whipped through Gwynne's curly hair, causing it to coil and twist like serpents. The thrill of the chase was both exhilarating and nerving. It was all playing out just like the books he had read way back in the palace, which felt millions of years ago. Although he'd been out into the world many times, Gwynne never truly experienced the rugged unknowns of real adventure. Slight guilt tugged at him for being so excited but was it so wrong to enjoy the journey that they had to make either way?

All three riders ducked and weaved between the thick branches of the moonlit forest. several ended up tearing and tugging at all of them until finally the thief's hood was ripped from their head and long, dark, flowing hair emerged. It was thick and straight like her horse's mane. Though the two should have guessed it by her small frame, their thief was a young woman.

The thicket began to thin and the moon's light became more apparent. All three rode in a triangle formation with the two boys catching up quickly. Without the heavy baggage of stolen goods, they definitely had the upper hand and would soon be upon her.

Once they had reached a bigger clearing John rode closer to Gwynne and tried to shout over the sound of hoof fall, "Let's sandwich her and the horse! Then we can close in and slow them down!" He nodded at Gwynne before dodging a random tree last minute.

It sounded like a solid plan and the prince knew they both had the stubbornness to not chicken out if they were to get dangerously close. That map had to be recovered no matter what so Gwynne nodded back and they sped forward as fast as their horses could gallop.

Once the trees had all dispersed a cliff revealed itself up ahead. Both of them were already on either side of her and the plan was in full motion. The gap grew smaller and smaller until only a few feet kept them from slamming into each other and sprawling to the ground. The Thief smirked at them and made a sharp turn by the oncoming cliffs edge, forcing the boys to follow suit. Gwynne was now riding by the cliff with the girl threatening to force him over.

She leaned towards him lightly bumping against the side of his horse. Death taunted Gwynne but a smooth recovery was made just in time. He knew he couldn't stop, otherwise she might get away, but if he continued she would force him off into a plummeting death. Which is not something he was going to let happen. As she began to lean in once again Gwynne acted quickly and pulled back on his reins, causing his horse to plant its hoofs into the earthy terrain. A sharp chill shot down his spine and his eyes widened.

The small woman's horse stopped abruptly, sending her hurtling over the edge. She flew through the air, dark red fabric waving as her limbs flailed. Her horse ran away, spooked by the events that had just occurred. Along with the horse went the satchels holding most of their things, including the map. John was shocked but continued after the horse whilst Gwynne stayed behind.

Gwynne's skin grew pale and his heart's pounding reached his ears as the severity of the situation set in. I'm a murderer, he panicked. The prince threw himself off his horse and wobbled over to the edge, hoping he hadn't truly just sent someone hurling to their demise. He peeked over and there dangled a girl, about his age, her eyes wide with fear. She seemed almost cat-like with her black hair, small frame, and wide green eyes piercing into him.

"Please-" the root she dangled precariously from shifted, "Oh my god! please help me!" Tears welled up in her eyes and the desperation was painted all over her face.

Gwynne lunged to the ground and immediately reached out to help her. He refused to hurt one of his subjects, even if she had stolen from them, it was not worthy of death. Her other hand grasped his and with several grunts she was back up onto solid ground. He stood on wobbly legs and sighed after coming down from the adrenaline high. Just as he saw John making his way back with her horse, a cold sharp object pressed itself against his neck. Slender fingers wrapped themselves around his arm and squeezed tight, showing the intent of the thief.

"That's a horrible way to thank someone," Gwynne awkwardly mumbled out, trying not to move too much.

She scoffed and retorted with a melodic voice, "Your the one who'd sent me over in the first place!" She pressed a little harder, "When your friend gets back you don't utter a word or I'll slit your throat."

The prince couldn't argue with the truth in the first sentence and had no choice but to obey the second one. The two waited until John made his way back to negotiate for Gwynne's life.

Valeigha- Heyo! it's been a hot minute since I've uploaded but it's because I REALLY wanted to do this part justice. Hopefully, I got across the intensity that I saw in my head and you enjoyed it! Please leave a star and comment if you enjoyed bc it would mean the world to me <3

XOXO have a good one!