Chapter 11: Pursued

I grabbed the keys and left the car as quickly as I could, jogging up to my front door. Robby left the car and jogged behind me.

Jaxon was there to open the door for me. I looked at him, silently asking him to explain what's wrong. Jaxon knew, so he spoke, "It's about dad. She got some sort of letter in the mail..."

My heart turned upside down and was beating hard in my chest. I gave Jaxon a small nod, before walking past him and running towards my mom's bedroom, leaving him and Robby alone by the front door.

« THIRD-PERSON POV »

Y/n gently opened the door of her mother's room, almost nervous to see what was on the other side. But her eyes landed on her mom sitting at the edge of her bed, her knees in her chest and her face hidden.

Y/n went inside and softly shut the door behind her. Her eyes fell on the opened letter beside her mom, making a small lump form in her throat.

Y/n's mom looked up at her with tear filled eyes. When she saw her, she wiped her face quickly, trying to smile like nothing was wrong. "Hey, baby," she said, grabbing the letter and folding it back up again.

Y/n let out a pained breath and walked over to her mom. She sat down next to her, looking her in the eyes. "What is it?" Y/n asked with a gentle tone.

Her mother thought for a moment about what to say, before ultimately deciding to tell the truth. Her face grew sad again, and she unfolded the letter. "Your father was supposed to come home. We were going to surprise you and Jaxon both, but..."

"He still has things to do..." Y/n finished her sentence, earning a nod from her mom.

This sort of news wasn't new. It's happened before, even in similar situations to this one. It's hard on both kids, but it's even harder on their mother.

Y/n's parents had a story from a romance book. They fell in love young, they grew close, but space ultimately grew between them. Their love still burns bright on both ends, just in places very far away.

The distance between made each of them feel so lonely. Sure, one of them had children to keep her company—which she loved with her whole heart—but there was still a space that could only be filled with someone you fell so deeply in love with.

Y/n looked at her mother with love and sadness. It was only in times like this that Y/n got to see her mother so vulnerable; she looked so young, so fragile.

"I even spent time learning this whole new recipe for us. It was a recreation of what we ate on our first date. I was doing it all from memory, but... now there's no need," her mother explained sadly.

"You can still learn for next time, yeah?" Y/n asked, trying to put a lighter spin on the situation.

But her mom just looked at her with an artificial smile. "Yeah," she responded. Y/n could tell she didn't really mean it, though. She laid her head on her mother's shoulder beside her.

"I'm sorry, mom."

Her mom laid her head on Y/n's too. "You don't have to apologize, sweetheart. It's not your fault." She paused, contemplating on whether to say her next words. "I just feel so alone..."

Y/n looked up at her mom quickly, who had more tears falling down her cheeks. "Oh, mom. You're not alone." She grabbed her hand, the sight making her want to cry too.

"I'm so thankful to have you and Jax, but..." she stopped talking. She knew what she was thinking would make her kids feel bad, so she knew she shouldn't say it. Saying it aloud would be selfish. "I miss your father," she said instead.