Chapter 15: Confrontation

THEN

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and checked it again, my knee bouncing rapidly. When I saw that he still hadn't replied, I decided to text him again.

Keene:

Me: Are you coming or
not?

I whipped my gaze up at the sound of classroom door opening. But it wasn't him. He wasn't here.

I thought Robby and I had good night when we went out. But since we said goodbye, he hasn't spoken to me at all. He hasn't replied to a single text or call. We were supposed to meet at Monroe's on Sunday to practice our presentation speech for our project.

But he never showed.

I sat there, looking over at the door every time someone walked in or out. I must've looked so stupid—like a girl who got stood up. Jimmy, the owner, saw the whole thing, then decided to give me my drinks and food for free.

Robby never walked through that door.

Now it was time for Mr. T's class—time to do the last step of this project we've been working so hard on. And still, the door was never graced by his presence. Neither was I.

I was anxious, nervous, and ready to leave without presenting.

Did I do something wrong? He told me he had fun, that he wanted to do it again. But now... radio silence.

Was I too naive? How could bad boy Robby Keene actually be a good person? He gets in fights. He skips school.

He doesn't do school work with me. He doesn't laugh at my jokes. He doesn't drink Lotus Surprises with me until our stomachs ache. He doesn't take me out to a concert of one of our favorite bands. He doesn't kiss me under the stars.

He leaves me here, alone.

The late bell rang, and still, there was no sign of him. I took a deep breath, wiping my nervous hands on my legs under the table.

We were so confident in our project on Friday that we volunteered to go first today. And now I have to do it on my own.

I took out my phone and texted him one last time:

Me: Forget it.

I turned my phone off and stuffed it back in my pocket. Just then, Mr. T called my name. "I believe you volunteered to go first," he said from the front of the class.

I stood from my seat, gathering my materials. "Yes, sir," I spoke quietly. I made my way up to the podium at the front of the class.

Mr. T narrowed his eyes at me. "Where's Mr. Keene?" he asked.

I glanced at him. "I'm doing it on my own," I answered simply. My eyes traveled through the class, everyone looking up at me, waiting. My eyes lingered on Robby's empty seat for a moment, before looking to Maya. She looked back with sadness over her face.

I took one last look at the closed classroom door, but it remained unchanged. I looked back forward, clearing my throat, before starting my presentation.