Chapter 2. Take me with you

After a transient contemplation, the door burst open, revealing the man now glaring at me solemnly.

He crumpled his brows, making me nervous. "Who are you? Why did you break into my house? And why did you run away from your husband?"

I panicked when his voice augmented with intensity, and he looked intently at me. I strode toward him nervously with my heavy breath. "Shhh. Don't shout, please... Please, I'm begging you. He might hear us and come back. I can't take it anymore."

My whole body quivered as I silently wished he would hear me. But then he crossed his arms over his chest and continued to watch me carefully as if reading my intention. "Speak and explain. You're in my house, so you will answer anything I ask."

"Just let me stay here... and do not tell him if you see him again outside." I swallowed hard. "I promise I'll be gone later. I just... I just need a place to hide now. Don't worry, I'm not a stripper, and I'm not a thief."

His face morphed into something indescribable. I couldn't decipher the emotion behind that dark stare until his gaze fell on my right shoulder.

Then I heard him mutter quietly under his breath. "Fuck, you're bleeding."

My hand flew to my shoulder reflexively, where my wound was oozing. That compelled me to brood. What if he took advantage of me after this? What if he caged me here just like my husband does every day? My heart started to pulsate faster, and my mind whirled. I began to think of running again to flee.

I swiveled around and was about to go when he grabbed my left arm and dragged me into the sofa without hesitation. "Sit down."

"I'm sorry... but I think I'm good to go now. Sorry for trespassing into your privacy, Sir."

He stopped me from moving. He had a towel in his hand, and I didn't even notice it. He covered my wound with sterile gauze before gently wiping off the dried blood scattered on my skin. "Laid back, woman. Now shut up and stop fidgeting. I'm not gonna hurt you."

The man's words halted me for the briefest second. He looked too intimidating, but how he cared for me was comforting. I don't know if I'm too exaggerated to have that positive impression, or perhaps I'm just thirsty for protection. That's why I find his presence soothing, despite being strangers to one another.

"Thank you." I smiled, trying to compose myself in front of him.

"No need to thank me." He continued cleaning the side part of my wound.

"But why? You saved me from my husband," I proudly stated, glancing at him with my heart in bliss.

"You're actually more safe with him."

His words stunned me enough to provoke a shy-high curiosity from me. He didn't even glance at me when he enunciated those words.

"No. You're wrong. You have no idea how numerous times I attempted to flee. The truth is... I don't know how to live without being punished in a day. And this is the first time because of you."

His eyes were sharp on me, making me almost think he was not just an ordinary man. But I can tell he has a good heart for treating me this way despite not knowing his personality.

I lingered for his response, but only silence followed. I know I should not trust this stranger despite the kindness he's giving me, but my heart urged me to do so. Never in my life have I felt this secure. Never in my life, I've met someone like him who's willing to be bothered just to give me some aid. It's funny how this cruel fate brought Blaine into my life so easily, but all he did was treat me like mucky trash and maltreat me in a derogatory way. But the stranger who was supposed to ignore me was here, helping me while ensuring I was safe.