9 - Do this properly

I arrived and hauled my stuff, two duffel bags and a box of fragile's into the house, Alice walked straight to the room she took me to last night.

"Your room." I nodded, very happy to have this room double the size of my old room. "There's an ensuite in there. so you don't have to share with Seth and I." That was a happy surprise.

Alice had a room down the hall from the Living room Seth was down another hall furthest from mine and the study. I noticed she had an electric bed. And lots of medicines on the side. I sit at the table as Seth hands me a tea. I would need to see what their food situation was.

The place was a welcoming wood cabin, honey shaded panels made it feel cosy yet light. A large sofa and armchair sit in front of a flat screen tv and a stone fireplace. A two foot white pillar was the only divide between the living room and large kitchen space. Chunky wood counters with brass pots hanging from hooks.

"So run me through your schedule." I say to them both and they pause.

"What time do you usually eat?" I look directly at Alice and see her confusion. "How many times a day do you take your meds?" I look at Seth. "Do either of you have allergies?"

They were both staring at me confused.

"Penny you don't have to do all this yet we can show you over a week or so." Seth started

"Is the pay real if I do the care work?" I ask them both, there's a pause before they nod.

"Well then yes let's do this properly" I risk a glance at them both. Seth's face looks strained but he doesn't say anything.

"I don't need that much help." I stare at her ignoring Seth even though I really wanted to see what he thought of that but it felt disrespectful to Alice so I kept my eyes on her.

"I take a few tablets three times a day." she starts and her eyes dart to Seth's tanned arm resting beside her.

"I want to be useful and there's no need to go slow. Alice talk me through your routine." taking control of the situation. Seth sits up when my eyes land on him.

"Could you let me know what options we have for dinner today or should i make a shopping list?"

They both looked at me slightly stunned. Seths arching his brow but stands and goes to the kitchen. I hear him padding around and look back at Alice I scribble down on my own pad. The words Bath and changing. I slid the pad over to her.

"Write down what you're happy with me to help with and what you want to try and do on your own." I said softly and saw the shock on her face.

"I don't expect you to help with that." her face scrunches as if mortified at the mere mention.

"You think I'm scared of old ladies' boobies?" I whisper down to her as I stand and her cheeks pinch as she glares at me.

"I helped out at a lot of care homes reading and doing activities. Eventually I received training in care work. It's one of the few things they let you do in towns when you get your accreditation as we moved a lot. I learnt how to lift and change safely, how are you in the shower?" I ask discreetly taking Seth's seat so we could chat together. I was grateful when I heard a radio in the kitchen start up and felt a swell that he had understood we needed privacy.

"I haven't had a bath in a long time as I can't seem to get out again. It was stressful." she finishes and her cheeks pink.

"Okay I can call a few companies and get us some equipment which should help us get you about."

"Now if you don't mind I'm going to help you in the bathroom, and with changing so I can make sure your mobility is fine. If it is, you can do these without my support. I will leave you to it.. I will just help with meals and housework." I say to her and see her glare soften no matter what she thought about me she wasn't going to fight it. I wondered how much help she had needed and for how long.

I took her hand and she continued to frown at me, her independence being tested by my plan.

"Thank you for saving me. It will be a pleasure to stay here with you and Seth" I'm hoping my eyes showed my true gratitude.

"Glad to have you home Penny." Seth says from behind me. As I turn I see his broad frame leaning in the doorway, his smile on me making butterflies move inside me.

Home? Was this my home yet? A flash of the courtyard and Leo's face in my mind. How disturbing that I would think of him when I said home and not my parents. Maybe it's because he was the only person who could possibly drag me back to the town and there was nothing I could do about it if he did. 

---

How are we liking Penny's move out from the community? 

Do we think it's a smart move? 

Hope you are all having a good day, Rosie  xx