15 - First Meeting

The bedroom door bangs and my eyes open filling with bright light.

"Come on, sleeping beauty, we have to leave in fifteen if we don't want to miss the start."

I stumble up and shower, pulling on a long floaty light yellow skirt and a cute white short-sleeved blouse, I was boiling my skin heating at all this movement. I popped a loose violet cardigan, its long sleeves covered the bruises on my arms. I let my hair down, now washed, the heat was already making it big. I put some serum in and was thankful when at least a curl was managed at the end. I put some small chunky gold hoop earrings in, some tinted moisturiser and mascara to make me feel like I had a healthy-looking mask to hide behind. I felt half-human as I assessed myself in the mirror. If I felt more myself I might have laughed at the irony that I was only half human. If I was lucky to have a human connection, all I knew was at least part of me has guardian blood.

Seth drives ridiculously fast for a Sunday morning to the hall and we are five minutes early. I carry the casserole that's still warm through to the side door and on a long table. I go back for Alice Seth has pushed her up the steep ramp and I take her from there. He smiles

"You got this." he whispers next to my cheek and I smile.

I see Leo and the spokesperson welcoming people as they come through the door. I pushed Alice and it's easier today my arms start aching as I reach the door, my blood feeling like its boiling. I reach the doorway and they both smile at Alice and me.

"Welcome Penny" Leo says, shaking my hand and touching my back ever so gently. The move feels like he's checking me over as my back tingles, a new ripple that is not my own makes my heart race.

I keep moving while ignoring any nerves. Fortunately, the effort to push Alice was enough to distract me. My muscles are weak. This is hard and my slow movement is noticed by a couple on the back row of seats who give me arched brows..

"We can stay down here." Alice hushed up to me, but I ignored her.

I grit my teeth as I push her up the ramp to the raised area at the back. She felt like she was carrying a cinder block in her lap.

They were good seats with a decent view of everyone and the podium. I sit next to Alice no one joins us. My neck is sweating from the energy to push Alice up the ramp. I slip my cardigan off for a moment so I can cool down my melting skin. 

I look down expecting to see steam rising under my cardigan from my heated skin. 

A dizziness blurs my vision, my eyelids heavy.

my stomach dips as if I've missed a step. No! it's not happening. I can't have an episode here, now, no please, please.

Breathe I command myself I focus on the floor in front of me exhaling trying to bring my focus back distracted from the swelling in my skin from the heat underneath.

Alice finds my arm and after a moment my skin cools I wipe my neck from the dampness I can feel. My eyes focus sharper and I feel clearer.

I feel eyes on me and turn to the town hall doors which are closing.

I fear trickled through me as I took in Leo's face, his eyes staring at me like he hated me. I shuffled my gaze to the front feeling like a foolish gazelle turning from a preying lion.

Run. My back tingles

I gripped my cardigan and placed it over my shoulders. I had no idea what he was mad at me about.

The community meeting consisted of celebrating births remembering the recently passed members sending thoughts for their families and ideas to help those who were going through hard times. At the end, I feel like we should all clap but no one did. Then four small children no older than seven I thought, had a talent show and it was the cutest thing to see their dance routine. Then a pitch for kids to come around and update all your household gadgets for a yearly fee. I was impressed with their funny pitch like everyone else. When it was finished I headed for the food table