Chapter 5

"It would have been yours," He tells him, quietly, "All this time, if you had just asked."

If they had just KNOWN.

"I... I don't know..."

"Please, kid. I can't let you stay out here." Techno sizes him up again. Regrets it. "You have like... six different illnesses right now." 

Tommy doesn't laugh - make that seven. 

"You can't tell Wilbur I'm there. That's the terms." 

Techno expected that, still the conflict tears him in two, as he remembers Wilbur pleading desperately to nobody for forgiveness, remembers how he sobbed regretfully into his shoulder, remembers his dripping wet clothes that he hadn't even bothered to change out of. 

"Tommy..." 

Tommy jerks out of his arms, leaning back on a wet piece of rubble. Still shivering. Still bruised. 

Still scared. 

"That's the terms," he repeats, his voice shaky, "Either agree, or fuck off, I don't need your pity," 

Techno sighs, squashing down the urge to remind him, "We've tore apart this entire city to find you. We're passed pity."

"Fine." 

Tommy wilts in relief, and Techno knows he chose right. 

Still his stomach is heavy. 

"But Tommy," 

Tommy flinches, drawing away again.

"Wilbur wouldn't have done this if he knew... you know that, right?" 

Tommy stays silent. Throat bobbing, heart shattered across his face. 

No, then. And he still doesn't think so. 

"Just take me somewhere warm, Techno," Tommy whispers desperately, "...Please,"

Tommy's safety is the only thing he can really ask of the kid. He can't do anything but nod his head. 

"Come on, then. You'll be safe with me." 

He holds out his hand. 

Tommy appraises him one last time, and takes it.