Chapter Two

Kirby is still staring at the now dark screen. They have been for a while now.

Eclipse is the first one to speak.

"The other masks weren't found after the Pizzaplex's destruction," he says, still unhappy, "Maybe the others are still here?"

I can't go on different quests now. Cassie is in trouble and she might be willing to do everything in her power to release whatever's been contacting her. I can't let her get hurt.

It'd feel like it'd be all my fault if I couldn't save her. Everything from accidentally fortifying the idea to possibly watching her get ripped to shreds.

Kirby is still upset. They don't show it as much as I thought they would, but I somehow know. I can feel what they are feeling. Which part of my brain did that mask poke?

"We need to save Oregon's friend first," Kirby says.

"The child who came in the Daycare before you?"

"Yeah," I reply. "Another friend of hers told me to follow her and fix up any damage she might cause on the way to Roxy's Raceway."

Eclipse smiles. "The security nodes are supposed to keep everyone up top safe! If they weren't here, we wouldn't have MXES to keep whatever's down below-well-down below!"

"So, what do I need to do? Find this MXES and befriend them?"

"Yep! You haven't been deactivating security nodes, so he'd gladly work with you! It'll be easy when we figure out where he is!"

We?

Oui.

Eclipse snaps his fingers and tells us to wait here. He runs out of the Theatre and comes back after a few minutes. He's holding something in his hand. Two bracelets, a sun one and a moon one.

"My counterparts made these before one of them went out of control," Eclipse says. "I want you to have one so we know we'll be best friends to the end!"

I let Eclipse choose first. He gets the sun one, and I get the moon one. We both put the bracelets on our wrists. It's almost like the friendship necklaces I keep seeing in grocery stores, two pendants that make a whole and everything, but in bracelet form. The moon half and the sun half, just like the Attendants before everything went bad after the worst.

"Let's go find us a program," Kirby says. And then we're off.

And then we're lost.

We somehow found our way to Eclipse's room. A deactivated wet floor bot with us. For some reason, I can hear it still screaming. Crying for help. Wanting to be fixed. Begging to get out.

But isn't it already free?

We walk out of the room and search for another way. The endoskeletons aren't after us, at least, but we need to find an actual way out of here.

"Try putting on your mask. Your friend had one when my dark counterpart was after them," Eclipse says.

We go back to the Theatre, and I find the mask. Neptune, was it? Kirby nods, and I let my face get covered by the mask. Right in front of us is a large endoskeleton. It's not moving, it's more or less just a decoration in AR. I take off the mask, somehow I bothered, and lead Eclipse and Kirby up the ramp, which I now know what it's for. I put on the mask and slide through the endoskeleton's mouth.

Kirby, unable to be far away from the mask, floats down and lands next to me. Eclipse sounds confused. Does he know that a endoskeleton is there?

"Hop down!" I shout, taking off the mask. The vent is still above me, where the esophagus was. Eclipse hops down and follows us, crawling right behind me. We have to drop through the already fallen vent, which puts us in a Monty-shaped cart. Cassie is a few carts in front of us, quiet and watching the show. Eclipse is sitting on my right while Kirby is sitting on my left.

"I-I saw."

I look up at a now worried Eclipse.

"Saw what?" I ask.

He looks at my right arm, and then he answers.

"The endoskeleton. I saw the endoskeleton."

*****

Word Count: 700