Chapter Four

We've been waiting for Cass for a while now. My mask is on, seeing MXES right at the door. We've been standing around, hiding, for a while now.

I've even fallen asleep for a good hour before Eclipse woke me up out of worry.

"There is a door out of here through the back of the alley if you want to leave," Eclipse says. He's whispering, unlike his usually happy and slightly loud way of speaking. Maybe he doesn't want Cass to hear him. Kirby is right next to me, leaning over to express their discontent face-to-face with him.

"Cassie's my friend too," I reply, "I can't leave her yet. Not when I can still save her."

"I know. But what if she doesn't listen?"

"Then I'll make her listen. That thing down there is not going to hesitate making my friend lose her head. I'll follow her down there whether she likes it or not."

Kirby is staring at the door. I know they just want her to come right now, but she's probably stuck.

"What is taking her so long?"

"She's just down the hall," MXES says. Well, that answers that question. "Stay out of sight. Your friend has been deactivating bots. She's looking for something."

I'm still not used to his voice. It's distorted, as if he hasn't talked to anyone in years. Or he didn't need to talk to anyone until Cassie and I intruded.

Cassie walks through the door after a minute. She walks towards the node, but before she deactivates it, she goes straight towards the floor sign bots around the bowling alley. I watch her walk straight to the alley. She deactivates another floor sign bot that wasn't there before, and then she clips through the lane.

"Where did she go?" Kirby asks. They pause for a minute, and then they say one word: "Oh."

"What?" I ask.

"Bon's in there," they reply.

Bon?

Oh. 

"How did he get stuck there?" Eclipse asks. I don't know when he lost control, but it might've been a bit before.

"He was gone for years," Kirby says. "Nobody could find him no matter how long the company's search was. They just replaced him with Monty and put a story over it so the kids wouldn't get upset."

Eclipse stares at the lane. The smile on his face doesn't go away, it doesn't vanish, nor does it shrivel into a frown. But he is still upset. Not built to cry, but he still covers his eyes as if he is.

I can remember. 

Before Guillermo and Ruby. Back with my parents. When I used to come to the Daycare every day with a tender new bruise somewhere. When Eclipse always suspected something when I flinched away from a raised hand-the product of being hit at home. I still flinch now, but my emotions barely push through my face anymore. The times when the daycare was my happy place, in the corner, with a loving animatronic and more paper than I ever needed.

Bonnie visited every day. Before he needed to go to a performance or to a photo shoot. He'd visit Eclipse when everyone but me has left. My parents only gave me the Daycare Pass, and it left me with no other option but to stay. Bonnie would talk to me too. He told me that one day I might be able to go to a performance, and, when I do, he'd give me an autograph or a photo with him if I wanted one.

He was always so nice.

But now I'm with Eclipse, Guillermo and Ruby waiting at home. They're probably so worried. And what about Mom and Dad? They can't possibly still be at work!

"Do you want to go see him?" Eclipse asks. The only thing I can do is nod. 

I've missed him so much. 

Right when Cassie heads for the security node, almost unbothered, we both run towards the lane. The Baby Spiders are still deactivated, so we have no trouble going straight there. I keep my mask on, and we go straight in. Eclipse gasps, and I take off the mask. There, right in front of us, is Bonnie. He's on the floor, surrounded by deactivated sign bots. Everything about him is mangled and destroyed. His eyes aren't lit up like they used to. He's dead. 

Eclipse is still sobbing. Kirby is staring at Bonnie. I can't even look at him. It's just... surprisingly upsetting. An animatronic I knew just about my whole life, dead on the floor-abandoned for so long. Replaced. And now he's gone. 

"Do you want to go?" I ask Eclipse. He nods, and we leave the room. Now we have to chase after Cassie. 

Looking for her might take his mind off it. 

*****

Word Count: 800