I.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

(              bike thieves and karate teens                )

ENDING OFF WHAT was supposed to be another typical tuesday with a ninja star to the helment was definitely not what you were expecting, yet it wasn't the strangest thing to happen to you on a random night in manhattan.

adding fuel to the already-flaming fire of your crap-pile of a day, the force of the tiny but mighty weapon wedging itself within the material of your scooter helmet sent you back a bit, your palms releasing their grip on the handle bars of your transportation vehicle.

you paused after releasing a yelp, blinking a few times before lifting a hand to feel around the top of your head, the sharp edges of the throwing star brushing against the pad of your thumb.

quickly snatching the item from your helmet, you whipped around to face the direction in which the weapon came from with a sharp glare. your stare settled on the shadowed figure of what you could tell was a person, their features undefinable from the darkness as they peered down at you over the edge of a rooftop.

"hey, you up there!" you called out, stepping away from your bike to wave the weapon in your hand around. "you just hit me in the head with a fricking ninja star!"

the stranger was soon joined by three other shadowed bodies, the four seeming to converse as you continued to confusedly shout up at them.

"excuse me! i'm still talking to you, don't side bar!" you exclaimed, pointing an accusing arm at them with the weapon still pinched between your fingers. "this is one of the most popular streets in manhattan— you can't just go around throwing ninja stars wherever you want!"

suddenly, one of them finally decided to reply, yet it wasn't something that you considered of value to your rant. "hey, lady, behind you!"

"and i just got this helmet! i had to- you know what i had to do to get this thing in the color that i wanted—"

"no!" the one that had originally been standing by his lonesome interrupted, and you were just about ready to climb up there and really give those guys a piece of your mind until the familiar revving of a bike sounded out from behind you. "your scooter!"

turning around, the scene of some petty thug driving away stationed atop your ride enveloped your vision, your eyes growing wide as you felt your feet move on their own to hurriedly follow after the man. "hey, hey, wait!"