huit, parties and pirates

chapter eight, parties and pirates

chapter eight,
parties and pirates

- - - ⊱✿⊰ - - -

IN THE END, STEVIE MANAGED TO rope Daphne into doing a matching costume with her. ( After plenty incessant nagging, of course! )

They have a long history of pairing up for Halloween that dates all the way back to the days when childhood was ripe and the world was seen from behind rose tinted glasses. There are photo albums filled to the brim with their sparkling grins and over the top clothes back home, a baffling amount of polaroids glued into those garish scrapbook pages. Where Margaux frowned upon all things remotely fun, Louise Charpentier always had a passion for both making people laugh and making clothes ( she was one of the most successful seamstresses in magical France, after all ) and therefore insisted on sewing together outfits for her daughters every October. She used to say that all the time it took was worth it just as long as she got to see them smile.

Although, Halloween began to leave a bitter aftertaste in Daphne's mouth. Something about her outfit feels incomplete without her mother fussing over every little detail — without the finishing touches that she could never seem to wrap her head around. It leaves a hole in her heart that Louise Charpentier's needle and thread would never sew back up.

Anyway, she digresses.

Her costume is very last minute, if she's being honest, but she likes how it turned out. She's being swallowed whole by one of Cian's billowy shirts, her too-long brown skirt held in place by a chunky belt — it's never quite been able to fit just right, but when has that ever been able to stop her? She has on chunky pair of black go-go boots that tend to hurt her feet and her plaits are held in place by a black hairband, beads strung through the thick bracken that is her hair. Smudged eyeliner that she spent a humiliating amount of time trying to perfect ( and then washing it all away with frustrated tears ) melts into her foundation. That night, she draws a fine line between a hot mess and drop dead gorgeous: but she wouldn't have it any other way!