treize, window shopping

chapter thirteen, window shopping

chapter thirteen,
window shopping

- - - ⊱✿⊰ - - -

  DAPHNE'S HAD A CRISIS OR TWO in the time it took to get ready.

  She wasted far too much time on making her hair curl like Farah Fawcett's and it looks amazing, thank you very much but her eyeliner kept going askew and she ended up binning it in a fit of rage, opting for mascara so that she wouldn't end up killing someone. She draped on a green wrap top that'll hardly keep her warm in the November chill and a pair of blue bell bottoms, her fluffy socks poking out of her platform mary janes. A tote bag she got on her holidays ages ago hangs off her shoulder, misshapen from all of the rubbish she's stuffed inside it, and she toys with the many bangles encircling her wrist to distract her mind from all the worrying.

  After some self reflection and tears to wash away the remnants of eyeliner, Daphne had to wonder why she's putting in so much effort for Lily Evans of all people! ( She's too deep in denial to come to her senses. )

  Naturally, she's been second-guessing herself since she had woken up. What if Lily only said yes as a joke? Or was it some kind of an accident, a mistake? It's not exactly as if they have a history of being nice to one another, so why the sudden change of heart? Whatever the case, anxiety festers in her gut as the clock hands flick further onward.

  An old Nancy Sinatra record spins around on her turntable and it's surprisingly sunny outside, the frost glistening under the buttery rays of light and lightening the moldavite water that laps at her window. She winds a scarf around her neck and disappears up the stairs, racing to the Great Hall to try and get there on time, which she never could do. Her bag keeps sliding off her arm in a jingle of crystals and lipgloss, warring with her for the entire journey.

The castle is alive with the bustle of everyone hurrying to Hogsmeade, but Daphne can easily pick Lily out of the crowd. She's tiptoeing on a ledge to raise herself above everyone's heads, teetering back and forth. At first, Daphne feels like she doesn't notice her, but then Lily smiles and the frost spreading around her heart thaws.