3 - OPERATION COBRA

FOOL'S GOLD
CHAPTER THREE

ONE WORD TO DESCRIBE ANNIE HARTLEY IS OBSESSIVE

ONE WORD TO DESCRIBE ANNIE HARTLEY IS OBSESSIVE. Whether it was the determination to her grades or her clubs or volunteering, she was what some people would affectionately an obsessive neurotic control freak. And that unfortunately for Jess Mariano included people. There were only two viable reasons why Jess didn't like Annie. Either, there was something wrong with him or there was something wrong with her. And Annie refused to believe it was the latter. 

Despite the stormy cloud that was Jess, Annie didn't let him ruin the spring in her step. She bounced to life in the early morning as the sun rose high. Annie was the definition of an early bird. She felt most productive when the sky was awake and the sun beamed on her like a battery. Annie was usually up at 5am, going for a run or finishing homework, or baking bribery cupcakes. She always had something to do. 

By 7am, Annie had already down two out of three of those things. Now it was time for cupcakes. Annie had concluded after numerous research that the way to a person's heart was through their stomach. Baking had always solved every rut she had been in. Suppose it was more the intention behind the baking than the good itself. When you present somebody with a basket of mini muffins, they feel touched at the gesture that you thought about them and put in your own time and effort to make something, and when you weren't so familiar with what someone liked, cupcakes were always a winner. Annie's baking had never failed her before. Her cookies convinced Mr Lathum to raise her B+ to an A, her apple pie made Hilary Reid smile after her husband ran off with his other woman, and even Sookie St. James herself said her lemon bars were "delightful".

Annie considered that Jess wouldn't have the biggest sweet tooth but showing up with a basket of potato chips didn't have the same effect. So instead she made simple vanilla cupcakes to be on the safe side.

Annie, while a talented baker, was not a graceful one. Flour and butter coated the counters as well as herself with bits in her hair and down her sunflower apron as she mixed the batter rapidly.

"Why does it smell like Wonka's factory in here?" The grumpy voice of Annie's sister Kate asked as she entered the kitchen, still in her pyjamas as she had just woken up unlike her sister. Kate pulled out one of the kitchen chairs and slumped into it. "Oh god, more cupcakes."

Annie ignored her sister and poured a cup of coffee for her. Kate didn't utter a thank you as she took the mug and brought it to her lips. "Who are the cupcakes for?"

"Just a boy at school." Annie answered as she began to pour her batter into their designated cupcake holders. 

"Why?" Kate asked with a disapproving scrunch of her nose.

"I want to be nice."

Kate raised her hands in surrender as she exclaimed. "Oh, of course, how could it be anything else?"

Annie set down her spatula. She kept her voice soft but she wasn't happy. "Can you lay off the judgement please?"

Kate feigned heartbreak. "Judging? No I'm not judging. Why would I judge you for selling yourself out for anyone that flashes you a smile?"