5 - PARTY HARTLEY

FOOL'S GOLD
CHAPTER FIVE

CHEERLEADING WAS A STRESSFUL SPORT

CHEERLEADING WAS A STRESSFUL SPORT. Exercise was supposed to relieve your stress. But while football and tennis and ice hockey allowed athletes to release their aggression, the core of cheerleading was being happy and if you weren't, you had to pretend to be. Annie didn't intend to join the cheerleading squad. When she started in freshman year, she signed up for track and netball. But then Gina Dawson begged her to join claiming who would be a better cheerleader than the girl that always smiles. And of course, Annie said yes but yes seemed like the right answer. Cheerleading was fun for the most part but when you were head cheerleader and your teammates weren't practicing their routine because they thought cheerleading was an easy way out of gym, it was insufferable.

It was getting cold and Annie would like to say that was the reason for the team's laziness but they had been slacking all year. Annie had spent weeks preparing their routine and so far six out of the fifteen members they had, had the routine nailed. Annie's current enemy was Rebecca Fontana. It was no secret to Annie that Rebecca was bitter about Annie being made captain and as much as Annie tried to be nice and give her the lead spots, Rebecca wasn't satisfied. She was clearly the ringleader steering the team from practicing. Annie tried to keep a calm façade.

"Come on, guys. One more time. We can do it." Annie encouraged with a clap of her hands. She tried to ignore Rebecca's roll of eyes as she pressed play on her stereo. The music started. Annie clicked her fingers to the beat to remind the girls of their pacing but it was pointless. Annie tried not to cringe as she watched jagged elbows and sloppy high kicks. The song finished with Erin tripping over her own feet and stumbling into Heather.

"Okay." Annie said. She wasn't sure what to say. "Good job, guys. That was...good. Anyway, we are preforming at the Stars Hollow came against Hartford next week so please put in the practice at home and don't skip rehearsal on Monday and Thursday."

The girls almost ran inside. Annie wasn't sure if it was because they were cold or desperate. Annie was the last to leave. She picked up her stereo and unzipped her bag to find her sweater. Her eyes couldn't help but spy the cigarettes that were peaking out from underneath her jeans. She zipped her bag before temptation took over. "Hey, Annie."

"Hey, Jeanie." Annie greeted her teammate. She assumed she had taken off with everyone else. Annie felt an itch in her brain as she wondered if Jeanie had seen in her bag. "What's up?"

"I just wanted to say sorry for not practicing the routine."

Annie waved a hand. "Oh, don't worry about it. Just try and catch up before the game."

"I want to, it's just, well- you know Mr O'Brien, how much of an ass he can be. He's given me an essay and a quiz all for Friday." Annie was silent. She wasn't sure where this was going. "You know, I love cheerleading and I want to do this routine, for you, but I'm just so swamped. I could really use some help."