Chapter 3: Brothers part 2

After dinner I got upstairs to get ready for bed. I feel the warm water press against my skin as I take a shower. And I start to think about what might be out past the dome. And why nobody knows about what is out there even though we have have the same system for 64 years.

A sudden knock on the bathroom door interrupts my thought. "Kris, can I come in? I need to get ready for bed." The voice I hear sounds like Zach. "Sure, I'm in the shower." I reply. "Well I haven't taken mine yet either." he says. "Ok, come in and I'll get out in like two more minutes." I don't hear the door open but I hear it close.

"Were you ok at dinner? You seemed like you were acting a bit sad." "Yea, I'm fine, I was just thinking about mom and dad." I start to hear a couple of sniffles. I peak my head slightly out of the shower just to see half of his face.

I turn the water off and grab my towel from the rack. We are really close and siblings so I really don't care if he sees me but I wrap the towel around my warm body anyways.

He is sitting on the closed toilet so I sit on his lap and wrap my arms around his neck. I know he is getting a little teary eyed but I can't tell if the water on his cheeks is from my long brown wet hair or his tears. Either way I still wipe them from his cheeks with the corner of my towel. And we just sit there for a little bit in silence.

I finally break the long silence with "Hey, we're fine. But it is getting late so you need to get in the shower so I can get dressed." He replies with a soft "Ok."
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
I get up slowly and kiss him on his head and mess up his dark hair. And before I turn around, I look into his brown eyes. I walk to the other side of the bathroom and look Into the mirror.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
My two oldest brothers have light brown hair like our dad and blue eyes like our mom. But me and Zach have Dark hair like our mom and brown eyes like our dad.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
In the mirror I watch myself slowly drop my towel on the floor and look at my naked body. I look to the right to make sure Zach is in the shower though, even though I would be comfortable if he wasn't. I am small, but strong. I am brave but I am fearful of what my future beholds. Tomorrow is my final test of stage five. I am put into a sham and have to survive.

I hear the water stop and know that Zach is done with his shower. I realize that I'm not dressed when Zach steps out of the shower. If I didn't hear the metal screeching from the curtain sliding open, I would know he got out. He sees me and I see him but we both don't care. I reach down to grab my underwear and bra and put them on. Zach puts on all of his clothes in s split second. He brushes his teeth and tells me to meet him in his room when I'm done.

I finish putting on my pajamas and brush my teeth. I look in the mirror one last time and grab my brush.

When I walk into Zach's room he is sitting on the edge of his bed. When he looks up and sees me, he instantly scoots back. I walk over and sit in front of him. "Can I see the brush please?" Without words I hand him the brush. my hair is still wet from the shower though. Since my mother never got to see us grow old, my brothers have always braided my hair after my shower.

I start to doze off even though nothing's on my mind. And before I know it my hair is in a pretty braid that what the ancients called it is a fishtail braid.

"Alright Kris, time for bed." I go knock on Cyrus's door and tell him goodnight and the same for Daniel. Zach walks me to bed and tucks me in. "Night!" "Goodnight, Zach." He closes the door and turns off the light. I fall right to sleep.