Chapter 4: The Sham

I wake up as the first beep of my alarm goes off. By instinct I throw my black sheets off of myself and jump out of my bed to turn off my alarm.

I walk to the bathroom and close the door. The clock on the bathroom wall reads 7:02, but the sham doesn't start until 8:15. Today I go into my last sham, and to be honest, I'm scared. I don't know what lies in front of me.

I brush my teeth and undo my braid. And since I will be running and doing things similar, I need to put my hair up. I need it to stay up though so I French braid the right side then the left side and put it in a pony tail.

I go downstairs to eat breakfast and find Zach sitting at the table. "Where are Daniel and Cyrus?" I ask. "Cyrus is at work." "And Daniel?" It takes me a short amount of time to realize where he is. Today was not only my big day but Daniel's second time going out past the dome.

I grab Alien Crunchies out of the cupboard and sit at the table. Before Cyrus left, he laid out a bowl and spoon for me. I pour the cereal into the bowl jumping when the food first hits the bowl. I eat quickly and when I finish, it is 8:00. Just enough time to get to the Chaining Arena.

As I walk around the third block out of seven, it starts to rain- perfect. I have black jeans and a sweatshirt on so I put on my hood.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Every day we change the color we wear. Yesterday was purple and today is black. You have to wear all of the same color.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
At first it was just sprinkling but now it's pouring. I start to do a weird walk jog thing but then I start to run and then to sprint.

I arrive one minute before 8:15. The building is a dark grey, which signifies that it is the chaining building. As soon as I walk in, I hear my name "Kris Fazlon, please step forward." A deep voice says. Without stopping I keep walking forward.

I feel a sudden hole punch through my chest. It's my turn. "Step into the box." Another voice says, but this time it's a girls voice. I follow directions and step into the box. When I am all the way in the box, the door instantly shuts. I am in complete silence and darkness. Suddenly it gets hard to breathe and what feels like a minute when I loose conciseness.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••
When I wake up, I am in the ship. I didn't realize that's what they did to you before you went into the sham. "Begin your procedures." A dark voice says.

I walk forward to the dark blue chair and sit down. The ships we have aren't that large but are a good size. When I sit in the chair, my back goes in shock The chair is really hard. I expected it to be soft and warm but it's hard and cold.

As the mysterious voice told me, I press the ingnition button and wait to hear the loud roar of the engine. Finally after about five seconds, I hear it. It is loud and sound course.

The next step is to make sure everything is in ship-shape. Check! I begin to take off when the voice says "Stop!!" I land after being two feet in the air.

I just sit there for about twenty-five seconds when he walks in. I forgot!! We have a partner in real chaining so why not train with them?