The Calm before the Storm -Chapter 11

Silver's POV

When I woke up this morning it felt like my head was in the clouds, everything was fuzzy. It took a while for me to remember what had happened between my parents and me but when I did, I felt the fire burning beneath my skin. I have always lived my life so carefree, running through the woods, dodging my guards, giving rouges and vampires chances. 

If I knew the truth of how much danger I was in, then I would never have done those things. "But then you wouldn't have truly been yourself." A voice whispers in the back of my mind. A pit forms in my stomach, because I know that it's true. The fire dies down and a tear slides down my face. A knock sounds on my door and I wipe my tear away, sighing out. "Come in." I say quietly, but I know whoever is there can hear me just fine. 

My door opens and Jason comes in but it's not my brother. "Grandpa?" I say tears spring to my eyes again. I can feel my chin start to wobble and he sighs, crossing the room quickly and takes me into his arms. "Oh, my little wolf." He says, resting his head on top of mine. I breathe in his scent, his smell comforting to my wolf and me. 

"I heard about what happened with your parents." He says after a while, and I pull away from him. I cross my arms, looking down at the mattress. "I'm not really mad about the news; I mean I'm going to be more cautious around vampires now but I'm angrier that they didn't tell me. I deserved to know." I tell him, the more I speak the angrier I become. "Don't be mad at them, Silver. I told them not to tell you." He says, looking pained to say the words. 

Confusion courses through me, and I look at him betrayed. "Why?" I ask him, my voice cracking. "I watched you grow up; I helped them raise you. You looked at everyone with an open mind and a kind heart, even our natural enemies, the vampires. I knew that if you knew, you wouldn't be you anymore. That instinct in you tells you who to trust and yours is stronger than anyone else's, but if you're scared that everyone is out to get you then you'll never truly be yourself." He tells me, the words ringing truth in my ears. 

He reaches up, putting his hand under my chin, bringing my eyes to his. "And that would be a damn shame, Silver." He tells me and I let out a wobbly smile, hugging him again. "I love you, Grandpa." I tell him, nuzzling my head into his shoulder. I feel his hands stroking my hair, as he rests his head on top of my head again. "I love you too, little wolf." He tells me, kissing the top of my head. My eyes start to feel heavy, and I feel him lowering me back to my bed and drifting off back into my sleep. 

*

I wake up again, the sunlight streaming through my window telling me that I spent plenty. I sigh, not ready to face the day but drag myself out of bed anyway, heading towards my bathroom. Good god, my hair. The reflection in the mirror shows me that I look like a victim of some kind of attack. I run a brush through my hair and head into my closet, to get changed. 

I decide on a pair of a skinny jeans, boots and a long-sleeved red shirt. Red, fitting for the moment, I guess. I let out a sigh as I see myself in the mirror, disappointed in myself for scaring my mom the way I did. I turn to walk out of my bathroom and catch a glint of silver as I walk out. I backstep and turn to look at the necklace my dad left me. The willow tree necklace is a reminder of my dad's love for me. I grab the necklace and slide it over my head, letting it fall past my chest. 

I play with the cool silver for a second, twiddling it between my fingers then let it fall back into place and walk out of my bathroom, flipping the light switch off as I go. I walk out of my room, closing my door softly behind me. My eyes meet the picture of my family and for a second the vision flashes in my eyes, the picture melting away, their faces warping. I blink my eyes fast, shaking my head to rid myself of the memory and walk down the hall to the stairs.