Chapter Seventeen

"What's going on with you and Luke?"

"Errr...nothing. Why do you ask?"

"Because he's everywhere you are all of sudden. He's picking you up, dropping you off, walking you to lunch. It's weird." Anna was twisting spaghetti onto her fork. We were sitting at one of the corner tables at lunch, hidden from view.

"It's not weird."

"It so is. Luke's normally so stoned he can't see straight."

"That's not true."

She raised an eyebrow at me before stuffing her mouth full of pasta.

"How's it going with George?" I asked.

"Don't you do that!" She pointed her fork at me, prodding the air with it.

I held my hands up. "What?"

"Distract me. We're talking about you."

"There's nothing to say."

"Sure there is. Firstly, you're hardly eating." She pointed to my plate. I hadn't touched what little food I had picked up. "Secondly, you haven't spoken to Bryce. You've just rolled over and let him desert you. It's pathetic."

I flinched.

"You see? You know it is. You have to talk to him. It's been a week since Luke's party, and he doesn't even know you know."

"He knows. Luke must've told him that I heard him and Taylor."

"You can't be sure."

"Oh I can. I can tell by the way he looks all shifty when he sees me. He knows I know."

"Whatever. Sort it out woman! You're being a total doormat. Letting him walk all over you." She made her fingers march across the table at me.

"I get it. I know what a doormat is."

"So talk to him."

"Fine."

"You will?"

"I will."

OK so talking to Bryce wasn't actually something I wanted to do at all.

No, that's a lie. I wanted to talk to him more than anything. But I didn't want to to talk to him about this particular situation. I just wanted to talk to him like nothing had happened. Like we used to.

"They found the guy who keyed the cars," she said, changing the subject.

"Oh yeh?"

"Some kid in eighth grade. Idiot."

"Really?"

"Yeh."

"So why did they think it was Bryce?"

"Just an excuse. The Marlow captain used to date Taylor."

"Really? What's his name?"

"I think they call him Jimbo."

"So he just went for Bryce because of her?"

"Yup. Poor Bryce."

"Serves him right for dating someone like Taylor Whitrow." I snarled the words out, but I didn't really mean it. I just did it for Anna's benefit, so she could see I wasn't too upset.

She saw right through it. But because she was my friend, she ignored it.

"Only one more week til you get your phone back! Let's plan something for next weekend. We can see a movie, go shopping, have lunch; whatever you want." She flicked her hair over her shoulder.