Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Hello again," Jimbo chuckled as he looked over at my huddled up body. "What's going on with you?"

"What do you mean?" I asked, staring straight ahead.

"I mean, I'm not a taxi service. Are you trying to piss off Taylor?"

"No."

He shifted in his seat and pulled an iphone out his pocket before handing it to me.

"What?" I asked.

He shook it at me. "Put your number in."

Hesitantly I took it, and he put his hand back on the wheel. "Why?"

"So I can take you out." He was very matter-of-fact about it, which surprised me, although I guess it shouldn't have done. If I were that big I would probably say whatever I wanted to too.

"Errr...that's not such a great idea."

"Why not?"

I swallowed and exhaled slowly. "I'm kinda into someone else."

"But he's not into you," Jimbo piped up.

"What makes you say that?" I slipped over the leather seat as I turned to look at him.

"It's obvious. Ali sticking her nose into your life, me, the car. I'm not an idiot Melissa. Give me some credit. And just so you know, I'm not sure how much I like being part of this little game. You should at least make it worth my while."

I didn't really like his tone, but I saw his point.

"OK, so this is about a guy. But how is going out with you going to make things better?" I asked.

"Look," he said, slamming his hand on the wheel, "I'll help you, but only if you help me. I don't want any money, or that kind of payment. And hopefully we can have some fun in the meantime. So let me take you out."

I paused and hmmm-ed out loud for a second. "What can I help you with?"

"I want Taylor back."

I raised my eyebrows and repressed the urge to burst out laughing. It was almost too good to be true. "You do?" I asked.

"Of course. I mean, she's the hottest girl I know. And I still like her." He said the last part so quietly that I nearly missed it.

I sat back in the seat, pulling the sides of my coat together so my bare thighs weren't visible.

"Who's your guy?" he asked.

I stared out the window, watching the headlights illuminate each tree that lined the road in turn. We were nearly at my house.

"Her boyfriend."

Jimbo coughed as though he were choking on a furball. "The football captain?"

I nodded and bit the inside of my cheek, chewing down on it. "Yup. That's the one."

"Well isn't this fortuitous?" he said, glancing over at me and smiling.

"Is it?"

"You know it." He grinned, winking at me.

I put my number in his cell and handed it back.

"OK. Let's do it," I said, as I handed it back to him and he lifted himself off the seat slightly to slip it back into his pocket.

*

Both Bryce and Luke were suspended for the last week of school, so I didn't see them, which was a huge relief.