2. The unspoken Bond

The team dinner was abuzz with laughter and playful banter. As the evening unfolded, the teasing directed at Beth and Vivianne became increasingly intrusive, although Beth remained oblivious to the true nature of the questions.

Jen Beattie couldn't resist stirring the pot, her tone teasing yet prodding. "So, Viv, you and Beth spend an awful lot of time together. Are you two more than just friends?"

Steph Catley joined in, her eyes sparkling with mischief. "Yeah, you seem to have a special connection on the field. Do tell us the secret!"

Vivianne felt a knot tighten in her stomach. She tried to maintain composure, offering a weak smile. "It's just good teamwork, nothing more."

Kim Little, ever observant, leaned in and whispered, "Come on, Viv, we've seen the way you look at each other. There's definitely something there."

Manuela Zinsberger couldn't resist adding, "Don't worry, Viv, your secret is safe with us, but we're dying to know!"

Vivianne's discomfort grew with each question. She stole a quick glance at Beth, silently pleading for help, but Beth seemed oblivious to the intrusive probing.

Inside, Beth felt an undercurrent of tension in the room but couldn't quite put her finger on what was happening. She frowned, sensing that something was amiss, but not fully grasping the true intent behind the questions.

As the weight of the intrusive inquiries became too much for Vivianne to bear, she excused herself from the table, her heart pounding in her chest. She felt a sense of suffocation, needing to escape the prying eyes and questions.

Outside, she leaned against the wall, trying to steady her breaths as tears welled up in her eyes. The unspoken burden of their secret became overwhelming, and she couldn't contain her emotions any longer.

Back at the table, the teammates exchanged knowing looks, realizing they may have crossed a line. Some of them felt guilty for their insensitivity, while others were oblivious to the impact of their curiosity.

But Beth had seen enough. As she noticed Vivianne's absence, a surge of anger rose within her. She couldn't bear to see Vivianne hurt by their intrusive questions. Without thinking twice, she got up from the table, her frustration evident in her expression.

"Enough, guys!" Beth's voice shook with anger and frustration. "Why are you prying like this? Can't you see you've upset her? It's not okay!"

The room fell silent, and the teammates were taken aback by Beth's outburst. The realization of their insensitivity hit them hard, and they felt remorseful for their actions.

Beth didn't wait for a response. She knew Vivianne needed her, and that was all that mattered. Ignoring the surprised gazes around her, Beth stormed outside to find Vivianne.

Vivianne's breaths came in shallow gasps as she struggled to regain control. She looked up to see Beth hurrying toward her, and her heart swelled with a mixture of relief and vulnerability.

Beth wrapped her arms around Vivianne, shielding her from the world. "It's okay, Viv. I'm here. Breathe in and out for me."

Vivianne clung to Beth, her emotions spilling over. "I'm scared, Beth. I can't do this."

Beth's voice softened, filled with compassion. "I know your scared baby but we can't let fear control us."

With Beth's unwavering support, Vivianne's panic began to subside. She looked into Beth's eyes, finding comfort in the strength of their connection.

Back inside, the teammates were silent, realizing the impact of their curiosity. They knew they had to be more mindful and supportive of their friends.

A/N trying a new style of writing to write this book. Xx