The Pen of Cupid

Chapter 4: The Pen of Cupid

"Peeling back the petals of a lavender bloom exposes its core; so too will this tale unravel, layer by layer, revealing the hidden heart of an aristocratic world."

     *****************

The morning sunlight filtered through the gaps in my curtains, casting a warm amber glow over the desk where I had fallen asleep penning the first of the letters. As I rose and stretched my sore limbs, my gaze was immediately drawn to the half-finished letter before me. The weight of what I was about to do settled heavily on my shoulders, but there was a spark of excitement that urged me to continue.

Gathering my thoughts, I settled into the writing, allowing Lady Arabella's voice—or at least my perception of it—to flow through the quill:

My Dearest Lord Nathaniel,

I find myself compelled to write to you following our recent encounters. There's a peculiar dance that seems to unfold whenever our paths cross—a delicate balance between formality and the possibility of something more.

Last night, amidst the glamour and gaiety, I was acutely aware of your presence. While the music played and conversations swirled, there was a quiet understanding, an unspoken thread that connected us. Do you feel it too? Or is it a mere figment of my overwrought imagination?

Your gallant action, swiftly preventing the candelabra from causing harm to the elderly couple, was not lost on me. Such valour, such grace under unexpected pressure, it displayed a side of you rarely seen in the public eye. It speaks volumes of your character, revealing a depth not often witnessed in the men of our society.

There's an honesty in this parchment, a refuge away from prying eyes and societal constraints. Here, we can be unburdened by titles and expectations. I urge you, if you feel even a semblance of the intrigue I do, to respond. Let this be our sanctuary, even if briefly.

Yours, in anticipation, 

Lady Arabella

Sealing the letter with a wax emblem I had discreetly borrowed from Lady Arabella's collection, I pondered on how best to deliver it. The delivery had to be discreet, ensuring no suspicion fell on either of us.

As the day unfolded, I went about my tasks with a newfound purpose, keeping an eye out for an opportunity. By afternoon, as I placed freshly laundered garments in the guest chambers, a brilliant idea struck me. I knew that Lord Nathaniel's valet, a man of impeccable discretion named Mr. Collins, would be visiting Lady Arabella's estate to discuss arrangements for the next event. If I could subtly pass the letter to him, it would find its way into Lord Nathaniel's hands without a trace of my involvement.

I waited, letter in pocket, for Mr. Collins' expected arrival, hoping that fate was on my side and this daring plan would kindle the beginning of a beautiful charade.

The golden haze of the afternoon sun gently warmed the estate, setting the meticulous topiaries and vibrant rose bushes alight in a delicate dance of oranges and reds. I spotted Mr. Collins amidst this natural painting. With his ash-blond hair neatly tied at the nape of his neck and wearing a well-tailored brown coat that hinted at his position in the hierarchy of servants, he was in deep conversation with Jenkins, the head butler of Lady Arabella's estate.

Jenkins, with his thinning silver hair and stoic features, always carried an air of utmost professionalism. This time, however, I could discern a hint of concern, a furrow in his brow, and the set of his lips. Mr. Collins seemed to be making a point, gesturing towards a parchment in his hand.