Chapter 7: Phone call

Harvey Dent sat in a warehouse full of gasoline and dynamite. There was a phone through which he can talk to the other hostage, his girlfriend, Rachel.

"Hello? Can anybody hear me?" Rachel said through the phone.

"Hello?!" She screamed.

"Rachel?" Harvey said.

"Harvey! Oh, Harvey, thank God! Are you ok?"

"I'm alright. I'm in a, I'm in a warehouse. They got me wired to these... oil drums." He responded.

"I am, too. Harvey..." she said as the timer ticked away the seconds.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Back at the police station, the Joker got left alone in the interrogation room along with an officer.

"I want my phone call. I want it. I want it. I want my phone call." The Joker said.

"That's nice." The officer replied.

"How many of your friends have I killed?" The Joker asked.

The officer scoffed, "I'm a 20-year man, and I know the difference between punks who need a little lesson in manners and the freaks like you who just enjoy it. And you killed six of my friends."

The Joker turned to him and mouthed the word 'six'.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Please. My insides hurt." The thug in the jail cell continued saying.

"I don't really care. Back away." An officer replied.

"The boss said he'd make the voices go away. He said he'd go inside and replace them with bright lights." The thug replied, "Like Christmas!"

The officer laughed, "You're out of your mind, pal. Back off." He said as the thug collapsed on the floor.

"Medic right away in the holding tank! Come on, get the door open." He said as he stepped in.

"You guys back off!" He yelled at the other men in the cell.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Listen, we don't have a lot of time." Rachel said to Harvey, "He told me that only one of us was gonna make it, and that they were gonna let our friends choose."

"Okay, Rachel. It's gonna be fine. It's gonna be alright. They're coming for you." Harvey said, breathing heavily.

"Okay, listen to me, I'll help you. Just talk to me, talk me through what's going on with you. Can you find something, anything sharp?" She asked, crying.

"I'm trying. Shit." He grunted.

"What's... Harvey?" She said as she heard him fall over, "Harvey, what's happening?"

Harvey groaned as a drum of gasoline flipped over and started spilling all over the floor.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Do you wanna know... why I use a knife?" The Joker asked, "Guns are too quick. You can't savor all the little... emotions. You see, in their last... moments, people show you who they really are. So, in a way, I knew your friends better than you ever did." He paused, "Would you like to know which of them were cowards?"

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Meanwhile, outside, medics were searching the thug for any problems, when they uncovered something underneath his skin, it looked like a small box with a wire connected to it.

"Geez. He's got some kind of a... contusion." The officer said.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

"I know you're gonna enjoy this." The officer said to Joker as he rolled up his sleeves.