𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑

𝟏:𝟐𝟐 𝐏.𝐌

𝘓𝘰𝘶𝘪𝘴𝘢-𝘔𝘢𝘺 𝘈𝘭𝘤𝘰𝘵𝘵 𝘏𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘴𝘤𝘩𝘰𝘰𝘭

𝘌𝘮𝘮𝘢 𝘊𝘰𝘰𝘭𝘪𝘥𝘨𝘦

I sit in the middle row, third to the front, and I always get the worst seats when assigned. There are three guys behind me in a row and they can't go without bothering me somehow and distract me from learning. My enemy Melissa Bradley sits next to me and it's a nightmare. She gets me in trouble all the time, from making me look like a total cheat to lying and getting me pulled out of class. All I try to do is do my work and listen to music but noooo that's just too hard for some people.

World Geography isn't easy and it won't ever become less rigid with four annoying rats surrounding you and a teacher that presumes you to be the class rule breaker. I hate breaking rules, it's just not on my plate and I don't know what problem she has with me.

"Emmaline"! I looked up quickly at the loud mention of my name, my teacher was standing in front of my desk looking down at me. I made a low smile and scratched my head looking around the classroom and seeing all the kids making eye contact with me. Great.

"The first use of the modern nation-state concept came in what"? They asked me and I thought for a second. I must have spaced out when she went over it.

I looked around for help, but who would help me as much as leave me alone? That's when I made eye contact with him. John. He mouthed something to me, I was having trouble reading his lips but I guess he said 'Western Europe' and I looked at him before looking at my teacher again who was tapping their foot on the ground and arms crossed.

"I don't think she knows the answer, sir. She's too dumb to be in this class I thought only smart people could be in AP"? Melissa had to butt in with whatever stupid thing she had on her mind.

"I-I don't know. I'm sorry sir". He made a disappointed face as I looked down, I wasn't going to cry cause whatever. He walked back to his desk sat on the table and looked at all of us.

"Now everyone needs to make sure they're paying attention because there's a quiz on Friday and I won't be giving out redos". He looked at me when the words 'paying attention' left his lips, I looked up at the clock and the bell was gonna ring.

Everyone gathered their stuff and made their way to the door. I was going to go over to John and say thanks for trying to help me, but then I was stopped by Melissa she gave me a note and then left as soon as the loud chimes went over the intercom. I didn't bother to open it, I just tossed it in the trash and left. I don't care what she has to say to me cause I have better things to think about than some snotty, and horrible comment. I don't think highly of myself as much as being popular, but I am humble and I work hard so that people know me as a nice person and not someone who so much as cares what others think of me.

I feel a tap on my shoulder as I'm walking and it's John. I slow down to match his pace and try to make eye contact while also watching where I walk.

"Why didn't you answer the question? I thought I gave you the correct response". He finished and I just opened my mouth, no words came out. I looked down the hallway through all the kids scurrying to their next class and then back at him.

"I'm sure it was, I just pull myself together in time I guess. I had too much on my mind at that moment and just felt like why try"? As we turned the hallway I realized it was my free period so I didn't have anywhere to go.

"You could've saved yourself and the whole class from hearing anything come out of Melissa's mouth. Now anytime I do anything I can hear the slight high-pitched whine in her voice". I chuckled at his statement and then I stopped in the hallway almost knocking him over.

"Is this your off period"? I asked him and he nodded, I gave him a tilted smile.

"Wanna go to the Starbucks near Townshelm? I'll pay for the drinks but you've gotta say yes first. I never have anyone to go with 'cause Alice has her free period next since this year we couldn't put together our own schedules, which sucks". He puts his hand in his pocket pulls his keys out and holds them up.

"Only if you let me drive. We can be off-period buddies cause my friend doesn't have any this year, he's trying to get all his classes done so he can have fun ones his senior year". That doesn't seem to bad of an idea, should've been like him.

"Sounds good"! I make a thumbs up with my open hand and follow him out the doors and too his car.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------