chapter 8

_Flash back_

_Flash back_

Sally turned to me, her eyes filled with anticipation and excitement. "Come on, Em, it's going to be an absolute blast!" she exclaimed, tightly grabbing hold of my arm.

Caught off guard by her enthusiasm, I hesitated, weighing the pros and cons in my mind. After a brief moment, I finally gave in to her infectious energy. "Alright, Sally," I replied, a touch of uncertainty in my voice, "I'm in. But I should probably ask my dad for permission first."

Sally's face fell, disappointment evident in her expression. "Your dad? Seriously, Em, you're a grown adult now. You don't need his approval to hang out with friends."

Letting out a sigh, I tried to explain. "I know, Sally, but it's just something I feel I should do. My dad worries about me, and I want to respect that." Sally rolled her eyes, clearly annoyed, but she didn't press the issue any further.

With a mix of nerves and determination, I made my way to my dad's office. I knocked softly on the door, and he called out, "Come in." Stepping inside.

On my dad's desk, a collection of meticulously tailored suits adorned the surface, each one carefully hung and neatly arranged. These suits, with their crisp lines and regal colors, served as a visual representation of my dad's esteemed profession as a judge. They symbolized his commitment to justice, fairness, and upholding the law.

The sight of these garments reminded me of the immense responsibility he carried and the impact he made in the courtroom. It was a constant reminder of the values he instilled in me - integrity, impartiality, and the pursuit of truth.

I greeted him with a warm smile. "Hey, Dad," I said, trying to sound casual. His concerned expression softened as he looked up at me. "Is everything alright?" he asked, his voice filled with genuine care and worry.

"Yeah, everything's good," I reassured my dad confidently. "Sally and I are planning to go to the club tonight, but don't worry, I won't be drinking any alcohol. I promise to be back by eight."

My dad's face registered a mix of surprise and concern at my newfound assertiveness. Before he could respond, I quickly interjected, "Please, Daddy." Taking a deep breath, he finally acquiesced, saying, "Alright, baby. But if anything happens, make sure to call me."

A wide smile spread across my face as I rushed over to give him a tight hug, feeling his warmth and love in return. He gently kissed my forehead and whispered, "Take care, Em." Playfully, I replied, "Dad, you're talking as if I won't come back."

Laughter filled the room as he added, "Just take care, alright?" With a confident nod, I assured him, "I will," and made my way out of the room.

Excitement filled the air as I entered my room, exclaiming, "Yes, baby!" to Sally. She couldn't help but laugh, responding, "It's showtime!"