8 | A Celebratory Banquet

Luwen stood at the entrance of the banquet hall, awestruck by the grandeur display. Gold and red ribbons draped from the ceiling. Glowing paper lanterns hung above her. A red carpet led up to the stairs, and the statues of golden dragons flanked the dais where the lord would be seated.

She did a quick count in her mind. Six higher-ranked subordinates sat right by the aisle, behind their assigned dining tables. The lower-ranks sat behind them in neat rows. There must be more than a hundred of them in this hall.

A tense silence ensued. Lethal eyes, akin to a pack of hungry tigers, followed her every movement. Her presence did not impress the members of the Dai clan, and whispers followed.

"What is she doing here...?"

"How arrogant. Doesn't she feel shame at all for what her clan did?"

The whispers continued, each one sounding more harsher than the last.

The people wanted her out of this place.

She felt her confidence waning, but kept her chin up. Fortunately, she had selected a simple, yet elegant blue dress to wear along with light makeup. It gave her a modest look. If she had worn something more luscious with an air of arrogance belonging to the Xia clan, it would only set these people off.

Suddenly, she sensed someone approaching her from behind. A presence that had most people in the hall sat straighter in their seats, their eyes glowing with respect.

A calm voice, low enough for her to listen, spoke. "Why aren't you entering?"

"Because it wouldn't be wise for me to enter without my husband." She stepped behind him with a slight bow of respect. A gesture to show the rest of the Dai clan that she meant no harm or disrespect tonight. "After you, my lord."

Dai Yichen arched his brow, first at her words, but later at her outfit. He, too, wore a blue hanfu but in a darker shade. Accompanied with white sleeves, the front of his robe was woven with a silver moon and bamboo trees. He looked like the painting of a warrior shadowed by the night sky.

Luwen met his gaze, slightly amused. Our outfits matched unintentionally.

His lips pressed firmly together, giving away nothing of his current emotions. He turned and faced his audience, sauntering forward with an air of authority in the room as Luwen followed closely behind. All of his clansmen had already stood up, bowing respectfully to him as they headed for the dais.

But at the foot of the grand stairs, Luwen suddenly stopped.

The seating arrangement confused her. No one told her whether she was supposed to sit beside Dai Yichen on the dais or among the audience.

After all, she had never seen the matriarch share her throne with anyone during banquets or meetings. Not even her lovers. She would see it as a threat to her dominance, and it was punishable by death.

Luwen glanced up at Dai Yichen, who had stopped halfway up the stairs and was looking at her as well. "M-my lord," she said nervously while aware of countless eyes watching her. "Where should I sit?"

He gave her a strange look. "Up here with me. Come."

Her anxiety intensified. She followed him, taking her place right next to him. Now, all eyes in the hall could see her, and their hatred burned through her skull.

As a hostage princess, she felt powerless being put on display here. She felt like they held her responsible for the sins of her clan by punishing and shaming her.

Several maids brought in trays of delectable food dishes and served wine to every table. Dai Yichen raised his wine cup up high. "Tonight, we celebrate the end of the war," he announced. "We shall honor the dead for their sacrifice in keeping our clan safe and welcome a new beginning."