28 | Tyrants

Receiving a request for Luwen's non-existent painting skills made her anxiety soared to greater heights. Escaping this predicament proved to be a challenging task for her.

I'm not the matriarch's daughter.

I don't know how to paint.

How was she going to avoid this? When it was something she couldn't imitate?

After the birthday banquet, Lord Yue's daughters invited her for a private gathering at a smaller pavilion, on the other side of the garden, while the older adults continued indulging in their wines and chatter.

Dai Yichen hesitated about allowing Luwen to leave his side, but he couldn't leave the banquet. However, if she declined a direct invitation from the host's children, she would be considered impolite.

She assured the lord once again. "I can handle a few ladies on my own, my lord."

He threw a silent look towards Biyu before returning his gaze to Luwen. "I'll look for you after I've finished a few more drinks with the other clan lords."

Luwen nodded. "You don't have to worry about me. I'll be fine."

Only if luck favors me.

As the women stood up to leave, the Yue princesses returned to their rooms to bring out their favorite musical instruments while a servant led Luwen to the pavilion to wait.

Biyu trailed after her, holding a sword close to her side. Her ponytail sat high on her head, secured by a metal headpiece, and the completely black outfit she wore only made her look even more menacing as a personal guard of Luwen's.

Biyu's voice dropped into a whisper, low enough for her to listen only.

"My lady," she addressed, "they may be Lord Yue's daughters, but please be careful when you're alone with them later. I dislike the looks they gave you earlier, especially the two oldest daughters."

The concern in her voice was distinct, and it warmed Luwen's heart. Whatever anxiety she was having earlier dissipated a little.

"I'm not alone. I have you watching my back, don't I?"

Biyu's eyes narrowed. "I can protect you against swords, but not against words. Not everyone takes a liking to someone related to the matriarch. If the ladies insinuate you later, you ought to find an excuse to leave—"

"Thank you for looking out for me, Biyu."

She parted her lips in a startled gasp, which only made Luwen's heart softened. "I'll be fine," she assured her. "And...I'm glad you've finally stopped avoiding me."

Silence fell between them as memories came to mind. Biyu caught Luwen's gaze, holding it there for a couple of seconds before she looked away. "I wasn't avoiding you. I was...ashamed."

"Ashamed?"

"I was ashamed of the words I hurled at you when we were in the kitchen," she admitted with a face full of regret and remorse. "They weren't pleasant, but I felt annoyed at Yerong for growing closer and friendly with you. I was furious at the matriarch for ruining my father's legs and changing our family's lives forever."

"And," she continued, "I was angry at you for not being the person whom everyone believed you to be. Lady Shao, whom we were close to, turned out to be a demoness, and I realized my mistake. We cannot judge a person by their looks or rumors. For my rude behavior towards you in the past, I'm sorry."

Biyu's unexpected apology for her mistake exuded unmistakable sincerity.

"I'll accept your apology if you're willing to keep talking to me in the future," Luwen decided. "It's hard to befriend someone who was once on the enemy's side."