11 | Friend or Foe

The matriarch's plan had failed.

All the assassins were dead, and they wouldn't inform her about Luwen's disobedience.

The customers fled in fear and the tavern was now empty except for the Luwen, the lord and his escorts. The tavern's owner and his employees, though frightened, were compensated for the damages and their help in clearing the bodies from the building immediately.

Dai Yichen was like a blazing inferno. He sent all his escorts to sweep the area once more for enemies and dismissed the guests he met during the meeting, allowing all to leave except one.

Luwen's right arm was still bleeding, and he pulled out his silk handkerchief to place pressure on her wound. He cradled her shoulders and supported most of her weight while taking her into one of the tavern's guest rooms quickly.

After settling her on the edge of the bed, he turned around and ordered the gray-haired man–who turned out to be the best healer in the city–to examine her condition. "Treat her."

As the healer tended to her wound, Dai Yichen stood beside her the entire time to watch the entire process. This made her acutely aware of his presence. His tall frame towered over them, his dark, brooding eyes watching over her in such a protective manner. She could practically feel the heat of his anger radiating off him like a scorching sun and almost searing her side of the face.

The healer examined her wound. "My lord, it's a surface wound. It will heal quickly after the lady gets some rest."

Concern thickened Dai Yichen's tone. "Will it leave a scar?"

"It won't. I've brought along a new medicinal salve that I've created recently and it's excellent in treating wounds like this. The scar should fade in a week."

"I'll buy the entire bottle," he decided. "If it's as effective as you've said, I'll send someone to get another box of them from you another day."

"A box?" Luwen's jaw dropped, finding his words outrageous. "I can't use them all for my wound, my lord."

Dai Yichen raised a brow, slightly amused by her reaction. "It's for the clan too."

"Oh." Embarrassment creeped up the back of her neck. Now, she felt almost foolish for thinking he was caring only about her. "You're a wise lord. I should have known."

She wanted to hit herself in the face.

What made her bear that silly thought in the first place?

He kept his eyes on her while she silently berated herself. Simply watching as the healer bandaged her arm carefully. As soon as the man was done with his work and left, Luwen finally faced Dai Yichen's true wrath, which he had been holding in moments ago.

"Why did you leave the room?"

Anger was evident in his tone, but so could she sense his underlying frustration. "A-a boy," she answered. "He lost his way and wandered into our room, and I was helping him to find his parents."

He didn't seem to be satisfied with her answer. "You should have stayed inside. Yerong would have called someone to help the boy find his parents."

Luwen pleaded on Yerong's behalf. She didn't wish for someone else to be blamed because of her. "He didn't have a choice because I insisted. If you wish to punish him, don't. Punish me instead. You may confine me to my room or give me whatever punishment you deem fit for me. It's not his fault."

Seeing the way she defended his subordinate, Dai Yichen slowly eased his anger and let out a sigh. "It was much safer in the room. That's why I kept you in there with a guard. But next time, do not wander off into this city without me by your side. Most of my people lost their families and hate your presence. They might seek you out for revenge."