14 flattened photographs

you decided to just ignore the weird event from yesterday. venti seemed normal later than day so you must've imagined it. still, the event gave you the chills. you didn't miss how odd he was acting that day.

he spent more time in his room. usually he'd be out with you and kazuha or aether. even xiao had been around you more.

you went on a walk and when you came back a package was delivered. it was for aether. you decided to bring it upstairs to his room.

as you passed venti's room you heard mumbling underneath his music. he never usually played music so loud. you didn't put any thought into it and continued to aether's room.

you knocked on the door. you heard some quick noise repeating. it was like something slamming down against wood. it was soft and sharp. as soon as they stopped, aether opened the door.

you gave him the package he ordered. "so, what's in it?" you inquired.

he invited you in and you sat on his bed. he opened the package with a pair of scissors. inside was a sheet of paper. it looked aged and worn. the paper was tan and the writing was a faded coffee color.

"it's a manuscript from old teyvat. it's unclear where, i'm hoping to figure it out," aether explained. he bit his thumb. "it's just very difficult."

you nodded. an idea came to you.

"what about zhongli? he could help you."

"he would know something- but is this is really his expertise?"

"oh yeah. we can go ask him sometime," you said. you stood up and looked around his room. it was odd for him to slowly decorate his room but never take those picture frames down. you had been in there multiple times and they remained every time.

except for today you realized. "i didn't know you had a twin." you were looking at the picture on aether's desk.

aether's cheeks shifted red and his eyes opened wider. his irises dragged over to the direction you were looking in. there was a picture of him and a girl holding each other's shoulders.

she looked exactly like him. they had matching blonde hair and honey colored eyes. even their grins were the same.

you hummed as you waited for his response. then you felt guilt sink in. was it something you weren't supposed to bring up? your shoulders pressed in and you looked downs.

aether suddenly chuckled. his hand came up to pat the back of his head above his braid. "yeah that's my sister, lumine. she doesn't live nearby so i like to keep a picture of her around."

you sighed. "she's very pretty. if she comes to visit that'd be super nice."

you stood up and left the room.