twelve - carlos

The race was beyond catastrophic

The race was beyond catastrophic. Nearing the podium, my hopes were crushed in lap 57 when my engine failed and burst into flames. In utter disbelief, I collapsed onto the grass, and buried my head in my hands. The last thing I wanted was to face a barrage of interview questions, and Julia's presence among the reporters certainly didn't ease things. I knew we needed to talk, and I intended to catch her once her interviews were done. However, before I could make a move, I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Ah, Smooth Operator, the smoothness didn't quite work out today, huh? Wanna grab some food together?" Lando's face suddenly popped into view. I offered a small smile and nodded. As we strolled toward the canteen, we debriefed the entire race. Every now and then, I couldn't help but reminisce about the times when Lando was my teammate, and these post-race discussions were a regular thing. Don't get me wrong, Charles is an excellent teammate too, but Lando will always hold a special place.

"So, what are you going for?" I inquired.

"Since I woke up, I've been craving some delicious Wiener Schnitzel," he responded, with a chuckle, and then placed his order. I opted for chicken curry, and we secured a nice table by the window.

"Carlos, can I talk to you about something?" Lando suddenly set down his fork and spoke with a serious expression.

"Yeah, go ahead," I replied, slightly tilting my head concered.

"Julia and I have grown pretty close, and we've had some conversations. So, I just wanted to check, how are things on your end? I can sense there's a sort of tension between you two, and..." Lando began. He was clearly searching for the right words, unintentionally showing how much he cared about Julia.

"Yeah, um..." I began, intending to explain that even if I had wanted to kiss her, I wouldn't have done it to someone like Lando, a close friend. Thankfully, I spotted Charles and Julia heading our way, so I invited them to join us. Saved from further explanation, I shifted the conversation to Charles's race victory, and surprisingly, Julia chimed in quite quickly. For a moment, things felt normal again, and perhaps, I could sense the awkwardness between us slowly fading away.

A/N

second part of part 12! <3 hope you have a lovely day!