𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑠𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛. 𝑎𝑛 𝑒𝑡𝑒𝑟𝑛𝑖𝑡𝑦 𝑜𝑓 𝑚𝑖𝑠𝑒𝑟𝑦

Nyx chewed on a piece of lettuce, her appetite nearly gone but she felt the need to chew on something and there was only one piece of lettuce left in the fridge

Nyx chewed on a piece of lettuce, her appetite nearly gone but she felt the need to chew on something and there was only one piece of lettuce left in the fridge. She was sat on the couch, watching a silent movie when she heard a soft knock on the door.

She doesn't do anything to answer it when Damon walks past her. She keeps watching her movie, chewing on her lettuce when she hears a familiar voice, Elena.

She pushes herself off the couch, the back of her head hitting the ground as she groans and eats the last piece of her lettuce.

She pulls herself from the ground and finds Damon talking to Elena. Her eyes move between the two, trying to read the atmosphere.

"They didn't mention having a brother." Elena locks eyes with her friend. "They don't like to brag." Damon brushes off her comment.

"Or complain." Nyx adds shortly, getting a glance from her brother. "Please, come in." Damon gestures into the living room as Nyx immediately links arms with the girl.

"If you're waiting for Stefan, you can sit with me. I'm watching Metropolis." It was her comfort film, she would watch it once a month, it was between that and Aftersun. Ever since she was a child, she found miserable things more comforting than most.

"Wow, this is your living room?" Elena looks around the room, everything except the couch Nyx had laid on was the picture of elegance, like no one had ever stepped in there in their entire lives, the only trace of life being the fluffy green blanket on the couch and the scattered shoes on the floor.

"Living room, parlor, Sotheby's auction. It's a little kitchy for my taste." Damon comments, looking around the room as Nyx sends him a look that both tells him to shut up and go to hell. She knew his game plan and couldn't bare to relive another Katherine incident.

"I can see why my brother's so smitten." Damon turns to Elena as Nyx shoves her on the couch. "Yes, she's quite beautiful. Now can we have some time alone please, brother?" She looked over at Damon, he didn't seem to want to go.

"I'm just making conversation."

"A little tip, when you're twenty five, don't make conversation with seventeen year olds. My friend is the daughter of the sheriff." Nyx warns, trying to seem playful with Elena but trying to get her point across with Damon.

"I just bought it up because I didn't think Stefan would ever get over the last one. Remember Katherine? Nearly destroyed." Damon lays a hand on his heart and catches Elena's attention.

"Katherine?"

"His girlfriend." Damon answers.

"Ex girlfriend." Nyx corrects.

"Oops, you two haven't had the awkward exes talk yet. Maybe he just didn't want you to think he was on the rebound. We all know how those relationships end." Damon clears his throat.

"You say it like every relationship is doomed to end." Elena looks over her shoulder at the older Salvatore and Nyx knows her friend is lost in her brother's stupid small talk.

"I'm a fatalist." Damon shrugs. "Hello Stefan." He remarks, turning to look over his shoulder as Elena gets up from her seat, now officially standing between all three Salvatores.

"Elena, I didn't know you were coming over." Stefan had no emotion on his face, his voice void. "Don't be silly, Elena is always welcome." Damon taps his brother's shoulder, moving and standing across from him.

"Next time we'll break out the old photos, show you Stefan before puberty hit." Nyx teased, trying to fill the void in the room. "And we'll make an apple bong." She adds, getting a laugh from Elena.

"Thank you for stopping by Elena. Nice to see you." Stefan's voice dances through the room as Nyx clears her throats.

"Someone is clearly auditioning for Batman right now so I think it's best you come back when that stick has been removed from Stef's asshole." Nyx smiles, a high induced smile, as Damon leads Elena to the door.

"Nice to meet you, Damon.

"Great meeting you too, Elena." He kisses the back of her hand. "Okay, no more trying to rizz up our house guests. Bye Gilbert." Nyx shoves her friend out the door, shuts it behind her.

"Great gal." Damon whistles as Nyx moves to stand next to Stefan. She turned to him, glaring at him. He had once promised Stefan an eternity of misery, that seemed to latch itself onto her as well.

"She's got spunk." Damon comments.

"How long was Elena here?" Stefan looks at his sister, she shrugs, "A few minutes, I was here the entire time."

"But you let him talk to her."

"Sorry, next time I'll just set him on fucking fire. I can't control who talks to who."

"Why do you care?" Damon sasses. "Scared we'll be doomed to report the past." Nyx fights her gag reflex.

"Isn't that's why you play your little game on a little high school girl?" Damon takes a step closer. Nyx had to admit she found it a little strange that someone as old as her brother would want anything to do with a teenage girl.

"This isn't a game." Stefan played with his ring. "Please, we all know the closest you two will ever get to humanity is when rip it open and feed on it." Damon smirks as he passes them to head to his room.

"I'm so fucking tired of him." Stefan groaned, nearly pulling his ring off his finger. She watches his delicate movements. "He promised you an eternity of misery." She flops back down on the couch, head falling back.

"It's been so long, you were never upset with me." Stefan finds his way next to her. She and Damon were different people, something Stefan didn't seem to understand.

"I'm never upset with anyone, the power of Zen."

"By Zen do you mean drugs?"

She nods.

"Don't be a prude, drugs are friends." She yawns, resuming her film as she lays on her side, her feet on his lap.

"And they give you great naps." She covers her face and it's not long until she's asleep.